Recommend quiet yet memorable winter destination

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2012 at 16:17:20 #804863

Hi All,

I have stayed in this wonderful country for around 3 years and this maybe my last winters here. I have visited all the major destinations in Swiss but none in winters. I want to make this winter a memorable experience. Unfortunately it hasnt snowed as much where I live so I plan to go some place where it has a good amount of snow. My options are below:
    1) Zermat: I have been here twice but in summer and seems like Matternhorn is calling me again. Are there any better places than this in Switzerland?
    2) Murren/Gimmelwald/Grindalwald: Been to these places many times but never in winters. Would it be a better option?
    3) Gstaad: I guess this is very expensive area but is it worth the price?
    4) Any other destination which is high up in the mountains where I can spend lazy times marveling the swiss alps and the snow.

I would be travelling with my wife and a 1 yr old kid:-)

Thanks….
    Rahul

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    27 January 2012 at 9:52:15 #834702

Hello Rahul! All places you mention are great in winter. Zermatt and Gstaad are quite expensive and touristy, but beautiful of course. Actually the same goes for Mürren and Grindelwald (Gimmelwald is very small). If you’re looking for a quiet town, you may like car free towns (Zermatt, Mürren, Gimmelwald, Wengen). If you want to be sure of snow in the town or valley too, you should pick a town that’s high up in the mountains. Gstaad and Grindelwald are situated lower than the other resorts (at about 1050 m).

The Engadine may appeal to you too. This valley in the south-east is very high and thus offers great chances of snow. St. Moritz and nearby resorts are rather touristy, but west from Bever/Madulain/La Punt you’ll find smaller and quieter towns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2012 at 15:23:09 #834703

Thanks a ton Anika…
    Your reply and my subsquent googling made me realise about this area in Switzerland where we never ventured.
    What all things can be done in Engadine with my kid daughter? Maybe its my ignorance but are there places in and around Engadine (except St. Moritz) which can be visited during winters. I am spending around 2 nights during my holidays.

I have also considered Wilderswil (close to interlaken) for my stay since it would be not crowded with Skiers and I can always visit Jungfrau….. yes I havent visited Jungfrau in the 3 yrs I have spent in Switzerland.

Also could you also advice if Engadine and the surrounding area is worth going during April (easter holidays)?

Annika
    7121 posts
    29 January 2012 at 14:26:43 #834704

Hi Rahul. Lots of tips for hikes and viewing points can be found in the Graubünden day trip overview. Not all activities listed there are available in winter season, but you’ll also find easy winter hiking trails, sledge runs, and so on. I suggest you take a look at the Engadine tourism website as well. I’m not sure whether April would be the best time for a visit to the Engadine. That’s because it’s in between winter and spring season. Snow will be melting by then at this altitude, so you won’t be able to do lots of winter activities, and (summer) hiking won’t be possible on many trails either.

Personally I like Wilderswil a lot. It’s central, yet not too crowded.

• The thread ‘Recommend quiet yet memorable winter destination’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.