Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn in Zermatt?

• luvmystang
    Participant
    107 posts
    5 February 2019 at 14:59:25 #819796

I will be visiting Switzerland (YAY) June 13-21 this year and I’m planning a visit to Zermatt (we will be based in Wengen for the whole trip).

I’m trying to decide between the Gornergrat excursion or Klein Matterhorn. Which would you recommend to be most scenic. Also would like to incorporate a bit of easy hiking.

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2019 at 20:50:21 #903621

Gornergrat. Purely personal view. Both are different and worthwhile experiences.

Make sure that at least in one direction between Spiez and Zermatt you go via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The faster more direct route between Spiez and Visp incorporates the lengthy Lötschberger Base Tunnel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    6 February 2019 at 0:31:31 #903622

Stick to Gornergrat for the following reasons:

• The Gornergrat Bahn (GGB) station is right next to the Main (MGB) station – important time saver if you are only in Zermatt on a day trip from elsewhere
    • related to above, the Klein Matterhorn lift base station is at the upper end of town so requires a 20 minute or so walk
    • hiking is easy on the Gornergrat sector as the hillsides are not too vertiginous
    • Gornergrat is better for your body as the gradual uphill nature of the railway gives your body more time to adjust to the altitude.
    • You get great views all the way up on the GGB train
    • At the top of Gornergrat you get the iconic vies of the Matterhorn, but are also closer to the Monte Rosa/Dufourspitze, the highest mountain on Swiss territory
    Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    6 February 2019 at 0:41:30 #903623

Take care when describing the Lötschberg base tunnel. It is quite ‘lengthy’, but the transit time is only about 12-13 minutes, so one is not actually in the tunnel for very long. This can be a big advantage on some day trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    6 February 2019 at 13:06:35 #903624

Hi,

I agree with the previous comments that Gornergrat would be your best bet if you’re looking for views AND easy hiking, although you get amazing views from both for sure!

Here are some links to read up on to help you in your decision:

The only other thing to consider is that besides the panoramic views, the Klein Matterhorn has the Glacier Palace attraction if you want to see that. However it will take longer to get to as it is almost 800m higher than Gornergrat so the air will be a bit thinner there too 🙂

Whatever you choose I wish you a great day out in beautiful Zermatt!

Maria.

luvmystang
    Participant
    107 posts
    6 February 2019 at 14:17:09 #903625

Thank you all soooo very much.

I think Gornergrat will be the choice. Also because a couple of the travelers don’t like heights and the gondolas to Klein Matterhorn might be a bit much for them 🙂

So my thinking for this excursion will be riding the train up and then on the way down getting off the train at Rotenboden and hiking down to Riffelalp. Do you have any good restaurant recommendations in the Riffelalp area?

I will be sure to post a trip report once we get back as a way to give back to this wonderful community!

Thanks!

Angela

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2019 at 15:41:12 #903626

Hi Maria –

Nice to see you here! You’ll find plenty to keep you busy.

And, the francophone forum members will surely be pleased to have reinforcements from someone who lived on the other side of the Röstigraben for so many years.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15496 posts
    8 February 2019 at 20:59:25 #903627

Hi Angela,

You’ll find that hike here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/rotenboden-riffelalp. Just before the train stop at Riffelalp there is the Riffelalp Resort where you can have lunch: https://www.hotelscomb ined.com/Hotel/Riffela lp_Resort_2222m.htm.

luvmystang
    Participant
    107 posts
    8 February 2019 at 21:06:23 #903628

You are AWESOME…Thanks!!!

• The thread ‘Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn in Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11480 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.