Reservation needed for dinner in Wengen in August?

• Kota
    Participant
    8 posts
    18 August 2019 at 19:02:14 #823456

Hello !

Later this month, we will be staying in Wengen for 3 days and sightseeing in the region.

For our first night, I’ve made dinner reservations for my family at our hotel. Would it be smart to make reservations for our other 2 nights? I know it’s a very busy time.

Also, would it be difficult to try neighboring towns for dinner – considering the trains?

Thanks,

Kota

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    19 August 2019 at 0:55:32 #920362

When will you be in Wengen? I will be there 26th – 29th. 🙂

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    19 August 2019 at 1:00:56 #920363

>Would it be smart to make reservations for our other 2 nights? I know it’s a very busy time.<

Yes to both.

>Also, would it be difficult to try neighboring towns for dinner – considering the trains?<

Not difficult but likely not what you will want to be doing after touring/hiking/whatever around all day. There are a number of VERY good restaurants in Wengen. I’ve been there 21 times for periods ranging from two weeks to three months and have never felt a need to go to neighboring villages (which would be Lauterbrunnen– 15 mins, Mürren– 35 mins, Grindelwald– 45 mins each way) Lauterbrunnen and Mürren are much smaller so more limited choices than in Wengen.

How many in your family? Ages? Food preferences?

Kota
    Participant
    8 posts
    19 August 2019 at 1:56:30 #920364

Hello and thanks for the reply !

We’re a family of 6; kids in their 20’s already 🙂 One does not eat meat, but will eat fish or vegetarian dishes.

Thanks again,

Kota

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    19 August 2019 at 4:08:47 #920365

With 6 you definitely need to make reservations

Which hotel are you staying at first night and have already made dinner reservations?

Berghaus does a fabulous job with fish, fresh from nearby lake. You need to call/email them in advance so they can secure the Char (stunning). Send a message to Martina: berghaus-wengen.ch/index.php/en /infos-en/contact-en, and let her know about numbers in your group that want fish and your one veg person so they can prepare sides that are veg-friendly. Ask for a table on the patio if available. Berghaus is a small hotel and restaurant (which accepts a limited number of guests that aren’t staying at hotel) so hopefully you will be able to get a reservation during high season. If so, they will be sourcing the fish especially for your group. As with many restaurants in Wengen they are small family-run places so will hold the table just for you for the evening and will have bought the fish just for you. Do NOT not show up nor cancel less than two days in advance.

Other great picks are Bären hotel/restaurant, larger than Berghaus, but rarely have fish on menu. There’s always a veg pasta and salads. Pizzeria da Sina is really good. Pizza is over the moon (with veg option of course) and they have grilled proteins (no fish) as well.

Kota
    Participant
    8 posts
    19 August 2019 at 5:34:39 #920366

Wow – Thanks for all the info !

Greatly appreciate it 🙂

Kota

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2019 at 7:37:21 #920367

Hi Kim11. Your reply valuable to me as well. As I will visit Wengen 11,12 Sep 2019. Are you abl eto suggest good Indian cuisine/Thai restaurants there. Also , would you know the cost of nearby Wengen attarctions -+Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 August 2019 at 11:36:14 #920368

Hi Anuja123,

If you mean the costs of transportation then you’ll find a link to a price list here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/tickets. Apart from that, the timetable page explains how to find prices for all transportation around Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    19 August 2019 at 17:27:50 #920369

There is only one Indian restaurant in Wengen that I am aware of. It hasn’t been open long. “Golden India Restaurant and TakeAway” You can read reviews over on TripAdvisor. I’ve not been there

There is a Thai place, Tham, over in Mürren that gets rave reviews although I have no experience with it.

Use google to search for more in the area. Be aware that if you use a search term like ‘Indian restaurant Wengen’ you will get results that include neighboring towns such as Grindelwald and Interlaken. Be sure to click through and look at the restaurant address to find out where it really is

• The thread ‘Reservation needed for dinner in Wengen in August?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.