Reserving Glacier Express in person open earlier?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 23:23:13 #815586

Hi everyone

We will be travelling by GEX from St. Moritz to Brig on Sept 13th 2018. I know seats can’t be reserved before 90 days out. Is this only for online bookings? I think if my calculations are correct this means reserving on 15th June or is it 16th? I was wondering if I can visit ticket office in Zurich on 14th June as we will be on our way home that day after a visit to Lugano. I had trouble last year with the RHB website as it refused to let me choose the seats I wanted even though they were marked as available! After an exchange of emails when I was told website was being updated and not behaving properly, I was advised to do the reservation by phone. I did this and was given a reference number to collect and pay for the reservations in St. Moritz. I was just hoping I might be able to avoid the hassle by making the reservation in Zurich if that is an option and reservations are open that early.

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 April 2018 at 23:26:53 #883499

Hi Maggie,

I had no trouble selecting specific seats on GEX at shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/ last year.

Try a test booking for 90 days out from now to see if it works.

Two trips to Switzerland in one year? Lucky you. Green with . . . .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 23:48:10 #883500

Hi Maggie,

You could always try in Zurich if you have the time – I’m fairly certain though that 90 days out is a general rule and not just for online reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 0:38:13 #883501

Thanks both.

Will try test run and see if it works.

Notice you have passed 5000 posts Lucas – that didn’t take you long!

Rockoyster – nearly 3000!

We usually do a Christmas market trip to somewhere in Europe – this trip to Lugano funded by not doing a Christmas trip last December! Of course we also have advantage of reaching Switzerland (and several European airports for that matter!) in just 2 hours from our local airport!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 2:03:53 #883502

Hi Maggie,

Good luck with the reservations. Rockoyster is slowly clawing me in as it were….I think it’s just a matter of time (I have to stop taking holidays!).

Isn’t European flying so easy? Sure beats trying to get around in Canada. And Zurich airport is just amazing. I’m flying out of Berlin these days and the 2 airports are atrocious.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2018 at 2:50:25 #883503

Of course we also have advantage of reaching Switzerland (and several European airports for that matter!) in just 2 hours from our local airport!

Lucky you Maggie. It takes us over 2 hours just to get to mainland Australia from our little island!

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    29 April 2018 at 11:46:20 #883504

Hi Rockoyster & Lucas

Reserving seats online on Glacier express has been a quite an experience for me. The website did not allow me to reserve seats on 26 April which was 90 days before my date of travel. This evening I tried reserving 2 seats for 26 July 2018 on the 11.26 am train from Chur to Brig – all window seats were gone and the 2 corridor ones also I could not get coz my cc payment did not go thru online.

I called them and the person was very helpful on the phone, suggested that I try for 2 window seats facing each other for the next train ie 12.26 pm. I managed to reserve online for this train and luckily the cc payment process went through.

Quick question to you 2 – If I take a train from Zurich at 10.37 am that reaches Chur at 11.52 am – will I have enough time to take the 12.26 pm Glacier express please? (I have about 30 mins time)

The GEX timetable I have, does not have platform nos. Hence this query.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 12:43:52 #883505

>> If I take a train from Zurich at 10.37 am that reaches Chur at 11.52 am – will I have enough time to take the 12.26 pm Glacier express please? (I have about 30 mins time)

Yes. You will arrive on Platform 9, and depart from Platform 11.

You simply need to transfer from Platform 9/10 to Platform 11/12 – the next one over. There are lifts, escalators and ramps, so you won’t have to deal with steps.

>> The GEX timetable I have, does not have platform nos.

Just use the Swiss Timetable. That has platform numbers.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo.)

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2018 at 19:57:31 #883506

Hello Meera,

Glad you got your seats. It’s a pretty popular train ride especially in peak tourist times. I suspect many people book through HappyRail.com or similar further out than 90 days. They will take your booking but can’t guarantee seats until bookings open. There are problems also tour groups doing the whole St Moritz to Zermatt experience.

Further to Alpenrose’s advice look up Bahnhofstrasse Chur and zoom in to see platform numbers.

Enjoy.

• The thread ‘Reserving Glacier Express in person open earlier?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.