Review on 7 day itinerary of Engelberg & Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2016 at 13:20:54 #809172

Hi,

I, my spouse and 2 children (2 year & 10 year old) from India would be travelling to Switzerland from 21 May 2016 to 28 May 2016. We have already made hotel bookings and also purchased a 8 days Swiss Travel Pass.

Kindly advice if the below mentioned itinerary can be done at ease. Also seek your assistance in planning of local must see attractions.

We are based at Engelberg (Titlis Resort) for 4 days and at Montreux (Hotel Helvetie) for 3 days.

• Day 1 : Arrival at Zurich airport @ 7 am and then head to Engelberg [ is direct train available ]. Can we visit Lucerne in the evening. If yes which places in Lucerne to cover.
    • Day 2 : Visit Mt. Titlis
    • Day 3 : Visit Jungfraujoch [Advice required on how to travel from Engelberg to Jungfraujoch]
    • Day 4 : at leisure [suggest any place nearby]
    • Day 5 : Shift base from Engelberg to Montreux. Visit Castle Chillon , Vevey Town [can these two places a covered post-lunch]
    • Day 6 : Visit Gruyers – Old Castle, Chocolate factory, Cheese Factory
    • Day 7 : Lausanne (Olympic Museum) [suggestions required]
    • Day 8 : Travel from Montreux to Geneva and further TGV to Paris

Thanks & Regards

Prachiink

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 May 2016 at 14:10:32 #851873

Welcome Prachiink, and thanks for posting!

• There are no direct trains from Zurich to Engelberg; you need to change in Lucerne. Details of any trip can be found in the timetable.
    • Activities in Lucerne can be found here.
    • Day 3: In my opinion Jungfraujoch is too far for a day trip. You will spend 11 hours on trains to get there and back.
    • Day 5: I’d recommend to travel via the Golden Pass line. It will take a bit longer than the fastest route but it’s very scenic. I would skip Vevey. It’s nice but small and you won’t have much time. Rather spend the remaining time on the castle. You need two hours to see it properly, or more.
    • Day 8: you can travel via Geneva, but there are some TGV trains from nearby Lausanne as well. For schedules and tickets, please see here.
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 May 2016 at 0:03:42 #851874

Hi Prachink/ – Good advice from Arno…as usual.

<<‘Day 1 : Arrival at Zurich airport @ 7 am and then head to Engelberg [ is direct train available ]. Can we visit Lucerne in the evening. If yes which places in Lucerne to cover.”>>

I’d stop in Luzern and walk around the town, unless jet lag is an issue. Then go on to Engelberg.

<<“Day 2 : Visit Mt. Titlis

Day 3 : Visit Jungfraujoch [Advice required on how to travel from Engelberg to Jungfraujoch]

Day 4 : at leisure [suggest any place nearby]”>>

How about time in and near Luzern? Day 3 is quite long, and gets you to Jungfraujoch in the afternoon. AM is better; clouds often come in in the PM.

<<“Day 5 : Shift base from Engelberg to Montreux. Visit Castle Chillon , Vevey Town [can these two places a covered post-lunch]”>>

You might consider Rochers de Naye instead of Vevey.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 17:52:58 #851875

Thanks Arno & Slowpoke…

IS there any luggage parking Facility at Zurich station and what would be approximate charges?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 May 2016 at 18:27:43 #851876

Yes there is –

SBB has that information-

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.3000.html ?WT.ac=service-zh-en

That link gives hours of service for the left luggage office. I recall 14 CHF per day per piece. May be less.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.3000.html ?WT.ac=service-zh-en

That link tells how many lockers, sizes and prices.

There are overhead signs in the station.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Review on 7 day itinerary of Engelberg & Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.