Swiss mountain passes still open in early October?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2018 at 20:47:41 #818841

Hi,

I am from India & planning a road trip by car from 1st october 2019 to 14th october 2019.

Started from zurich- st. gallen- st. moritz- lugano- zermatt- lausanne- geneva- neuchatel- bern- lucerne- zurich. this trip has 5 pass road, can i go through this pass road that time? Or which time from October month this pass road started to closed? kindly suggest me & help me to plan my trip successful.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2018 at 8:35:38 #898531

Hi SUMANTA07 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Higher mountain passes will close in October, but there is no set date typically. It depends on winter conditions.

You can read more about driving in Switzerland and traffic conditions and mountain pass information on the following links on our site:

If you can move your trip to finish by late September you shouldn’t have any issues.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 November 2018 at 9:13:20 #898532

Yes, the first half of October will probably be fine but it can’t be guaranteed 100%. So be prepared for detours, or instead enjoy the excellent scenic train routes: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain. In general, that’s more relaxed than traveling by car, especially for the driver who has to concentrate on the road instead of the scenery.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2018 at 13:20:17 #898533

Dear Sir, kindly inform me the average date of October Month of Every Year the Pass Started to be closed. Whereas the Mountain Pass Information link of this site show Pass Open till October.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2018 at 14:56:48 #898534

We don’t have average closure dates from past years unfortunately. I know this year, the Susten, Grimsel, Fluela, Furka, St Gotthard and San Bernardino passes were all closed on Oct.24 (pretty late).

Of course you never know what will happen next year.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 November 2018 at 19:06:10 #898535

Hello,

It certainly does depend on the weather, and September and October of 2019 are a long way off. The road over le Col du Chasseral (the highest point in the Bernese Jura) closed a week ago. This is a narrow road where you have to be very attentive, even during the Summer months. Today I read that is open again, so you never know from day to day. There have been a number of traffic accidents over the past few days in the Neuchâtel Jura, including on the road that twists its way up to the Col de la Tourne, which forced its closure for a while. A good place to find out current conditions is at this Michelin website: fr.viamichelin.ch/web/ Cartes-plans Click on “Info trafic” near the top right of the opening page. As you zoom in on a region, you will see more details. The black lines you will see indicate roads that are closed. Another useful site is http://www.rts.ch/info/trafic /. At the top left of the opening page, you will see the word “Catégories“. Click on this and you will see seven boxes you can check, depending on what you want to know. The second one down is “État des chaussées” (in English, “Road conditions”) and two below that is “Cols” (in English, “Passes”). As you zoom in on any particular area, you will see symbols that are clickable, which give you the particular details.

I notice that you are from India, where you drive on the left side of the road. This may or mat not be an issue, depending on your experience driving on the right side. Arno’s advice about concentrating on the road, rather than the scenery, becomes even more important on some of the passes in Switzerland. I drove up to le Chasseral a little over a month ago and my eyes were glued to the road. Sightseeing and photographs must wait until you are safely parked at the top or a marked parking area.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 November 2018 at 8:54:24 #898536

Bonjour Peterli-

Thanks for the reminder about the excellent via Michelin website.

I’ve gotten lazy and tend to use Google Maps mostly in the USA and, by extension, Europe, but for many years I relied on the high quality of the information on via Michelin. It was a lifesaver when I was driving around the hill towns in Tuscany, paticularly when we were driving into and near Perugia. ( I guess that’s not Tuscany…Umbria?)

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 November 2018 at 9:38:18 #898537

Buon giorno, Slowpoke

Perugia is the capital of Umbria but it is very close to Tuscany. Tuscany and Umbria fit together like pieces of a jigsaw. Since you mention Perugia, I’m wondering if you have ever visited the medieval town of Pérouges, situated about 40 kilometres to the NE of Lyon. I was there again (I love it that much) in the middle of September. Some believe that Pérouges was founded by soldiers returning from Perugia. I know that we are away from the Swiss Alps, but Pérouges is only 124 kilometres from Geneva (if you take the A40) and well worth a side trip. The following link does not have an English version but is very interesting: fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Cit%C3%A9_m%C3%A9di%C3 %A9vale_de_P%C3%A9roug es#XXe_si%C3%A8cle_ou_ l'histoire_d'une_sauve garde

Ah, I have just found this, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ P%C3%A9rouges in English, but the article is much shorter than the version en français.

I will attach a photo of one of the many lovely flowers I saw in Pérouges. Some of my friends didn’t believe it was real.

• The thread ‘Swiss mountain passes still open in early October?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.