Scenic drive from Milan to Interlaken: mid May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 14:14:09 #815721

I am looking for some suggestion as which route to take from Milan Italy to Interlaken Switzerland on May 11. Googe map shows to take highway A2. But I am more interested to take a different more scenic route. One suggestion was to go through Zarmatt and Saas Fee.

Does any one has suggestion and whether the route through Zarmatt and Saas Fee will be open in Mid May?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 0:30:22 #884148

You cannot drive to Zermatt, the road is not open to tourist vehicles.

Zermatt and Saas Fee are up long side valleys from the Rhone Valley, so you can’t really drive ‘via’ them.

The only pass route Milan – Switzerland likely to be open is the Simplon Pass, it is not the most spectacular of the Alpine passes but it is normally kept open and I would expect it to be open in mid May unless there was a sudden unseasonal snowfall.

Choose the ‘E62’ route offered by Google maps

However if you do go that way you can then do something unusual and put your car on the train through the Lötschberg tunnel – the most direct route from the Rhone valley to Interlaken

http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/autoverlad

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 4:59:40 #884149

Thanks. That was helpful.

We have few extra hours for our drive to Interlaken so dont mind taking some detour to see the scenic areas. So besides E62 and simplon pass, any other suggestion?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 14:54:22 #884150

If you don’t have time to stop in Zermatt (well Täsch and then train) but Brig is a nice stop as well on the route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 1:04:48 #884151

The ‘E62’ route is scenic, you won’t need to do any detours. Bear in mind that Google driving directions never include any stops – so the time shown is flat out – which no one (except a professional on a business trip) would do on such a scenic route.

I assure you that the ‘extra time’ you may think you will have is likely to be eaten away by normal driver’s breaks, shopping stops, picnic stops etc and natural travel delays – traffic hold ups, road works etc

As has been suggested, Brig or nearby is OK and If you go via the Lotschberg car shuttle just stop in Kandersteg village on arrival for a scenic interlude

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 1:20:52 #884152

Yes, and if you do find yourself in Kandersteg it is a quick drive to the Blausee as well.

You can read about my weekend trip to Blausee and Brig here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 18:50:30 #884153

Thanks a lot guys. Very helpful. I have now developed my route using E62 and excited to see the area!!

• The thread ‘Scenic drive from Milan to Interlaken: mid May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.