Rosenlaui Glacier Gorge from Schwarzwaldalp

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2017 at 11:30:09 #813721

Next June, we would like to take the Postal Bus from Grindewald to Schwarzwaldalp and then hike to Rosenlaui Glacier Gorge.

We would then continue on via a later bus to Meiringen, transfer to the the Gelmer funicular in Grimselstrasse and ride the Gelmer funicular, before returning to Meriringen.

Two questions:

Is this overly ambitious for one day?

How long is the walk from Schwarzwaldalp to the Rosenlaui Glacier Gorge?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    23 November 2017 at 14:12:50 #872287

This is a whale of a trek! I have done both several times, but in one day?? I assume you are based in Grindelwald. If so, then you can do the first leg from Grindelwald to the Rosenlaui Hotel, not Schwarzwalsalp, cross the road and enter the Wanderweg toward the glacier gorge. It is an hour or so before you are in the gorge. Years ago, you could see the glacier from this point, but with the recession of glaciers nowadays, I suspect it would be another hour’s hike over scree and sometimes snow fields before you were in camera range of ice. The hike may not be well marked. One time, we took a wrong turn and were headed toward the Engelhörner until we made a back track. Best advice is to bear right at any divided path. That trek, with return to the postal bus stop, and return to Meiringen will make anyone’s full day.

On another day, the postal bus will take you to the rail funicular near Hardeck that takes you up to the Gelmersee. Once there, you can do an easy walk around the lake and return via the funicular and bus to Meiringen.

Take two days for these trips. Both are spectacular and great hikes. Pack food and drink for both. Be aware that snow will be present at both areas until at least the early June dates.

Two ideas: One, do this in two days. Two, do these trips as late as possible in June.

Good travels!

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    24 November 2017 at 2:41:42 #872288

Hi Wander,

I have a somewhat different response to fredch.

In September, my husband and I caught the postbus from Grindelwald to Grosse Scheidegg. And then we hiked from Grosse Scheidegg to Schwarzwaldalp where we had a picnic lunch before going on to Rosenlaui (that’s a lovely, 2-hour hike with a bit of uphill and a steepish descent, but you’ll avoid that if you’re on the bus!). From Schwarzwaldalp to the Rosenlaui Gorge is a gentle and pretty hike (more of a walk really) of about half to three-quarters of an hour. At Rosenlaui, it is possible to catch the bus to Meiringen – I assume you’ll look at the timetable first, so you know how long you can spend sightseeing at the gorge and/or snacking at the Rosenlaui hotel.

As you’re going in June, when you have plenty of daylight, I think both journeys are possible. Start early, and you’ll have a lovely day if the weather is kind to you. The scenery is glorious!

Cheers,

Minnie

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    24 November 2017 at 15:41:17 #872289

Minnie, I have never done that walk beginning from your end. Sounds nice. Back in the eighties, Rosenlaui Hotel to the ice was primitive at best. The first time we did it, I had kids with me, and I hesitated to cross some of the snow fields. This map shows the route to the Rosenlaui glacier by the Rosenlauibach, which is the route I have always taken.

goo.gl/4sgioY

I still think this walk AND the Gelmersee trip with a base in Grindelwald is unrealistic, if one wants to enjoy the local ambiance. I suspect that we are trying to compare apples and oranges here.

goo.gl/1N4iw7

The site above looks good, but I have never been there.

Do they still have the museum on the second floor of the Rosenlaui Hotel?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2017 at 17:02:14 #872290

Thank you Fredch and Minnie – you’ve given us great options and directions.

Realizing we were biting off more than we could chew, we’ll bypass the glacier and go from Grindewald straight to Meiringen and then on to Grimselstrasse before returning to Meriringen.

The best I can determine with Google maps is that we would take a train at Meiringen to Innerkirtchen where we would buy our funicular tickets and then catch a bus to the Gelmer funicular.

Does this make sense? Our final destination that day is Brienz.

Wander

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    24 November 2017 at 17:45:49 #872291

My last trip to the funicular up to the Gelmersee was about four years ago. I took a direct bus from the Meiringen bus depot (across from the train station) in direction of Grimsel Pass, got off at Handegg, crossed the road (they have a conveyance from the hotel, I think) to the parking lot, and got a ticket from an attendant at the funicular. This is a thrilling experience and lands you at the dam, from which the Wanderweg leads you around the lake. See below

goo.gl/K91rP8

I believe you can buy tickets online, but watch the weather, if buying ahead. This is a popular spot.

goo.gl/ddpLE2

• The thread ‘Rosenlaui Glacier Gorge from Schwarzwaldalp’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.