Roundtrip Bernina Express in 1 day from Lucerne

• Ctexnow
    Participant
    2 posts
    3 June 2022 at 10:09:21 #827398

Aloha from Hawaii,

My hotel is in Lucerne from 7/12-7/14. I’m planning to take the Bernina Express. I know it takes 4 hours and 17 minutes from Chur to Tirano. It starts at 8:32 AM in Chur and arrives at 12:49 PM in St. Moritz. Is there a different Panoramic train I can take back to Chur to make my connection back to Lucerne? Or do I stay on the Bernina Express? I would like to take the best scenic route.

Mahalo (danke’” and “merci).

Charlynn

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 June 2022 at 10:48:18 #942829

Hi Charlynn,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I’m assuming you are planning a trip to Tirano from Chur. You have several options.

1. Take the same Bernina Express back from Tirano to Chur. Be sure to make separate seat reservation for the return journey: https://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/tickets.

2. Travel back to Chur with the local train. You would need to change trains a few times but you won’t need to pay for seat reservation. The route would be Tirano -Pontresina – Samedan – Chur.

3. Travel on the Bernina Express bus from Tirano to Lugano. Then from Lugano take a train back to Lucerne. The bus journey takes about 3 hours, and you can find some description about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/gettingthere (scroll down to Section 3: Tirano to Lugano).

Would any of this work for you?

regards,

Anna

Ctexnow
    Participant
    2 posts
    3 June 2022 at 13:37:05 #942830

I love scenic train rides. #1 works for me. I have a Swiss travel pass and I will be sure to make 2 seat reservations.

Is this correct, I will be staying on the same train?

I will also check options 2&3. I love all 3 options. I’m excited at the choices.

Danke,

Charlynn

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 June 2022 at 18:28:13 #942831

Hi again,

The Bernina Express train from Tirano to Chur (direct) leaves at 14.24, so you’ll have some time for sightseeing before catching the return train. Alternatively you can take an earlier Bernina Express train at 13.17 but this one goes to St. Moritz and you’d have to switch to an inter-regional train to get to Chur. Please use the SBB timetable to check train schedules: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Regards,.

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2022 at 20:19:07 #942832

Can I just check you fully understand what the day will entail.

You will have to leave Luzern at 05.35 or 06.09 in the morning.

Also you mistyped ‘St Moritz’ 12.49 for Tirano

The long distance version of the Bernina Express timing is:

Chur 08.32

Tirano 12.49

Tirano 14.24

Chur 18.20

• The thread ‘Roundtrip Bernina Express in 1 day from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.