Route from Lucerne to Interlaken by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 7:44:05 #811675

Hi all,i need a help on the route from Lucerne to Interlaken via road.I have rented a car and ok to take a long route preferably its flat road and not hilly.Has anyone driven on this route.Pls help with inputs.TIA.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 May 2017 at 10:08:57 #862771

Hi Mona85,

The most obvious route between Lucerne and Interlaken passes Sarnen, Lungern and Brienz and crosses the Brünig Pass. If you want to avoid that, you’d best travel via Bern. It’s quite a detour, but no mountain passes are involved. Tips for driving in Switzerland can be found at myswissalps.com/car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 12:24:27 #862772

thanks Annika.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 May 2017 at 1:07:25 #862773

Hi Mona.

If you always seek the flat routes, you still will have hills…Switzerland is not Kansas. And, you miss some of the better scenery. That said, Annika has given the answer.

Personally, I’d take the Brunig Pass route,via Brunig and Meiringen. The driving is really not bad… good road… unless you do it on a weekend afternoon. Then, it slows down a lot.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 5:31:56 #862774

Haven’t driven on hilly terrain before 🙁 But u ryt scenery wud b best at such routes.Trip is nxt month so i wud take a call on car plans soon.Thanks slowpoke.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 May 2017 at 8:06:14 #862775

Hi Mona-

I’m sorry, I did not understand the comment about “take a call.”

And, please observe the forum rules. Here is an excerpt:

<<“…………….. Write in English only; Avoid “text talk” (for example: “r u” instead of “are you”); The name of the country is “Switzerland”, not “Swiss”; Your post should be easy to read. Use bullet lists and line breaks; Your posts can be read by everyone, so do not post private data of yourself or others. (e.g. e-mail addresses);…….”>>

For many of the forum members, English is not their first language. The messages need to be in clear and simple English, because many people read the threads for information, even if they do not post.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 8:49:38 #862776

Ohh ok,sorry for that.Take a call as in i would finalise my plan to go ahead with the car rental or not as i have booked cancelleable option.Since my preference is to drive on flat roads i am taking help of this forum for inputs on it.As i am not confident driving on hilly areas,i would take a roundabout even if the route is long.I am exploring the best options suited to me as per my comfort.Thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 May 2017 at 9:18:37 #862777

Hi Mona-

Then, Annika has give the best route.

Have you considered traveling by train? The trains in Switzerland are really nice, frequent, and let you look at the (hilly) scenery.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 9:29:26 #862778

Yeah Slowpoke this is my second vacation to Switzerland. This time i am coming with my toddler so have a lot of luggage which is the reason i am looking at the car option.Also since last time i have experienced the train journeys so would like to explore through car too.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 May 2017 at 9:34:11 #862779

No question that a car helps with lots of luggage.

Good luck with the driving.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 9:41:29 #862780

Thank you Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘Route from Lucerne to Interlaken by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.