Sat nav / Google maps to drive around Switzerland?

Sat nav / Google maps to drive around Switzerland?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
debflint
debflint
26 posts
Jul 5, 2017 - 8:08 AM

Hi,

We will be driving through France & Switzerland (Mulhouse, France - Meiringen - Bettmeralp - Chamonix - Gryon - Haute Marne) over August. We've used Google Maps to plan the route and usually use this for navigation when in the UK. However, there's no setting for small roads or routes not suitable for larger vehicles. We'd prefer not to puchase an additional Sat Nav if at all possible. Have others successfully navigated through France and the Swiss Alps using google maps or would you say a Sat Nav is essential? Our motorhome isn't large, it's approx 6m long.

Thankss

Debbie

Arno
Arno
9744 posts
expert &
Jul 6, 2017 - 5:40 AM

Hi Debbie,

I haven't used Google Maps a lot to drive in Switzerland. I think it needed an internet connection all the time when I tried it, but there might be ways around that. I know of examples where it directs you to very narrow roads that are not accessible for any vehicles. Other navigation software may have issues like that as well though, so it's always a matter of paying attention and preparing for the trip. Just entering an address in the navigation is not sufficient in quite some cases. I use Sygic myself. It's not flawless but it works fine in most cases.

I'm not sure what you mean by Sat Nav as Google Maps is an example of Sat Nav too: it depends on GPS. I'm not an expert on this though!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018