Sat nav / Google maps to drive around Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 8:08:12 #812523

Hi,

We will be driving through France & Switzerland (Mulhouse, France – Meiringen – Bettmeralp – Chamonix – Gryon – Haute Marne) over August. We’ve used Google Maps to plan the route and usually use this for navigation when in the UK. However, there’s no setting for small roads or routes not suitable for larger vehicles. We’d prefer not to puchase an additional Sat Nav if at all possible. Have others successfully navigated through France and the Swiss Alps using google maps or would you say a Sat Nav is essential? Our motorhome isn’t large, it’s approx 6m long.

Thankss

Debbie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 July 2017 at 5:40:00 #866268

Hi Debbie,

I haven’t used Google Maps a lot to drive in Switzerland. I think it needed an internet connection all the time when I tried it, but there might be ways around that. I know of examples where it directs you to very narrow roads that are not accessible for any vehicles. Other navigation software may have issues like that as well though, so it’s always a matter of paying attention and preparing for the trip. Just entering an address in the navigation is not sufficient in quite some cases. I use Sygic myself. It’s not flawless but it works fine in most cases.

I’m not sure what you mean by Sat Nav as Google Maps is an example of Sat Nav too: it depends on GPS. I’m not an expert on this though!

• The thread ‘Sat nav / Google maps to drive around Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.