Reserve trains in advance for the Saver Day Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2019 at 18:27:11 #819758

My friend and I will buy a Saver Day Pass for one day in June. I know I must buy this pass on line IN ADVANCE which I will do. We plan to use it in the following way – Zurich to Arth Goldau to Mt. Rigi to Vitnau or Weggis to ferry to Lucerne and back to Zurich. PLEASE let me know if I must buy ALL of these rail/ferry tickets IN ADVANCE as well. I thought if we had the Saver Day Pass, we can liesurely decide which trains to take on the day of travel. But I just saw something on this forum which says we need to buy all the train tickets in advance. Basically, we would like to have the Saver Day Pass in our hand and buy the train/ferry tickets at the counter on the day of travel showing the Saver Day Pass to the vendor. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2019 at 18:58:26 #903449

Hi JaneD,

I’m not sure where you saw the other suggestion on our forum about train tickets. Tickets do not need to be bought in advance in Switzerland (but can be). If you don’t have a rail pass you can just buy a ticket at the train station and hop on the train.

However you have (or will have) a rail pass – the Saver Day Pass.
    For the trip from Zurich to Rigi, you don’t need to buy any tickets if you have the Saver Day Pass. The pass is your and it covers that trip 100% so no other tickets are needed.

See here on how to use the Saver Day Pas: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/howtouse

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2019 at 0:54:03 #903450

The Saver Day pass acts like a ‘rover’ aka ‘go as you please’ ticket.

If you have been anywhere and used a 12 hour transport pass or similar it acts in exactly the same way. (eg for London UK its no different from a London 1 day travelcard)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2019 at 21:26:33 #903451

Hi Lucas/dear members,

Sorry to bump in the middle of your ongoing discussion.

Your discussion is helpful to me and I have few queries connected to it, kindly answer.

1. If i buy one Half fare card(HFC) can I buy 2 swiss travel pass(3 days) with it? or is it 1 HFC can buy only 1 swiss travel pass?

2. If i buy 1 HFC can I buy multiple Saver day pass(SDP)?

3. If I try to buy HFC today, calendar shows only till April 11,2019 but my travel is May 3 to May 6, so when can I buy HFC at the earliest?

4. Does HFC need to be a physical card or a printout is enough?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 0:37:15 #903452

You cannot buy tickets for more than 1 person with a half fare card – a HFC is unique to you

• The thread ‘Reserve trains in advance for the Saver Day Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.