SBB blocks US Chase credit cards

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 2:00:04 #819490

Any logic to why the SBB’s credit card payment system has blocked US Chase credit cards from purchasing train tickets? This is a major hassle and Chase is the largest bank in the United States.

My Chase card worked in July 2018 with no issues buying a ticket with the SBB mobile app, but not it does not work at all. Chase agrees my card has no issues and many other people on the internet are reporting the same issue with cards beginning with 4147.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2019 at 3:11:30 #902168

Hello BillO and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

This has been happening for some time. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/cant-buy-ticket-on-ssch-using-us-credit-card

Someone wrote “SBB’s online site requires that “Verified by Visa” be utilized. The name of the mechanism behind the Verified by Visa, Mastercard Secure Code, AmericanExpress SecureKey is “3-D Secure”. Chase (and other major US banks) USED to participate but they pulled out. That is why now everyone has such a hard time buying train tickets from virtually all European national railway systems.” I can’t vouch for the veracity of that statement.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 January 2019 at 5:34:06 #902169

Hi BillO,

In all cases I heard of it’s indeed caused by missing security features as explained by Rockoyster. What kind of tickets are you trying to buy? Nearly all rail products can be purchased elsewhere, through retailers more geared to tourists (the SBB website is mostly designed for residents). You’ll find options on all our pass and ticket pages. For regular point to point tickets, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price, for example.

As for purchases in Switzerland: should your card still not work in the ticketing machines, then you can purchase at a staffed ticket desk.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 11:21:13 #902170

I was trying to buy the Super Saver Day pass (instead of the now removed Swiss Transfer Tass). With my advance purchase it was actually 30CHF cheaper than the Swiss Transfer Ticket.

In any case. When I used the official SBB app on my Android phone (and set my VPN to a Switzerland router) I was able to purchase the tickets with no issue. Not sure if it was the VPN or the app that made the difference but I did not take the time to experiment.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 January 2019 at 12:00:06 #902171

Great, thanks for the update!

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    16 January 2019 at 20:30:41 #902172

I was there in September/October and used my Chase Sapphire card on the SBB app without issue. I bought tickets (with half fare card) as we traveled.

Kay

• The thread ‘SBB blocks US Chase credit cards’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.