SBB express luggage transfer from flight (1)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 9:33:10 #819424

Hi Everyone! I’ve registered for our luggage to be sent to the hotel directly from our flight on the same day. The reviews of the service on this forum seem really consistent! With a baby and stroller it will be so much easier to make several train transfers without hauling our heavy luggage (no such thing as travelling light with a baby and in the winter!). The registration with SBB was pretty easy. However, the email confirmation mentions that we must attach green sleeves to our luggage – do these get sent to my home? I never inputted my home address so I’m not sure how to get these. Also, how do you properly attach the transfer labels to the luggage? And I have registered all three pieces under my husband’s name, do I have to make sure the airline luggage tags all have his name as well? I’m so worried about lost luggage.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 16:41:41 #901818

Hi mrsl,

I’ve not used the luggage transfer myself so I can’t say. I’d recommend asking these questions to SBB on their website as they will have the answers for their service.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 January 2019 at 9:45:48 #901819

Hi Mrsl,

SBB has changed their luggage services quite frequently so I am not sure on this one, and I did not use it myself either (not from the airport I mean). I am quite sure the staff will label your luggage, wherever you turn it in: either your home airport or after customs once in Switzerland. That depends on the exact service and should be explained on your confirmation.

Either way your trip will be much easier like this!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 12:57:21 #901820

Thanks Lucas! Still waiting on a reply from SBB…that’s why I came here. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 12:58:11 #901821

Thanks Arno. Hopefully someone has used the services from abroad and could let me know! 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2019 at 19:43:48 #901822

I think you are very brave Mrs L. I would want to see my luggage going round on a carousel after a long overseas flight. 😎

From the fine print “If you use the “airport abroad to Switzerland” service, green plastic covers for your luggage will be sent to you by post in advance (only to addresses in Switzerland or Liechtenstein). Therefore, you should book the service as early as possible.

Before you check in for your flight from another country to Switzerland the transfer tag and the completed customs declaration with the green plastic cover must be attached to every item of luggage. You will be sent the green cover in advance by post.

For transfers from another country to Switzerland, the customs declaration must be properly completed and luggage may not contain any goods – even duty-free goods – received or acquired in another country.”

What on earth does “sent to you by post in advance (only to addresses in Switzerland or Liechtenstein)” mean?

Let us know what SBB say, won’t you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2019 at 6:38:07 #901823

Hi rockoyster, I would have stuck with collecting my own luggage and sending it station to door but they can only deliver two days later. With a baby, that’s unfortunately unhelpful. I’m going to keep faith that this is a great service…….fingers crossed we won’t be left without ski clothing, diapers, and baby clothes! I’ll post as soon as I hear from SBB. Though it’s been over 48 hours and no reply. 🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2019 at 9:31:31 #901824

I attempted to call Rail Service at +41 (0)848 44 66 88. This is the only contact information in the auto-generated email. The voice recording I believe is in German. I was on hold for only about 7 minutes. But the operator who picked up would not respond to me asking for help or asking for someone who speaks English… 🙁 I am so upset. I even tried using my very rudimentary French but he just remained silent. I know he was still on the phone because I could here voices in the background and typing. I hung up after asking him for help for 5 minutes to no avail. Does anyone have SBB email contact information? Or an English hotline?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 January 2019 at 10:16:03 #901825

That’s no good Mrs L. I have had success with contactcenter(at)sbb.ch in the past. They usually respond within 24 hrs.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2019 at 15:18:23 #901826

Hi Everyone, so I figured out a few things. I ended up having to post a message on the SBB’s Facebook page. Someone responded within a few hours and explained that in order to get to an English speaking representative, you need to press 4 after you call the 0848446688 number. Good to know.

I was able to find an English speaker! Yay!

However, rather unfortunately it appears that I cannot use this Abroad Flight to Door service. Reason being, I don’t have an address in Switzerland or Liechtenstein to receive the green plastic tags. Without the green plastic tags, the staff will not be able to identify your luggage is registered for this service (and it will be left lost at the airport!). This is extremely confusing as the service is clearly listed for flights ABROAD to Switzerland but the website does not clarify that you absolutely need to have a mailing address in the country to receive the green tags. Obviously if I am flying from abroad it is highly likely that I am a foreigner. I believe it really should be marked clearly at the top of the webpage that you cannot use this service unless you have a mailing address to receive the compulsory green tags. That’s the first requirement!

Instead they say they can only mail tags to Switzerland and Liechtenstein (and you have to understand the implied meaning out of that). They can however accept the luggage if I can find a way to get the plastic green covers from someone with an address in Switzerland or Liechtenstein (in fact the operator said in the UK, Italy, France, or Germany would work too but that isn’t shown anywhere on the website). She also said there are agents that provide the service? Does anyone know which agents are reliable? I’m going to see if the hotel can help me now to send the covers. Well, now we know!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2019 at 16:56:04 #901827

Good details to know – thanks for following up with us.

The Swiss railways system and website is really designed with residents in mind for sure. Clearly the tags are designed for Swiss residents on holidays outside Switzerland.

Like a couple other SBB products, tourists can try to take advantage of some of these things designed for locals but as you are finding out it is tricky!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 January 2019 at 19:53:02 #901828

Earlier I pondered ‘What on earth does “sent to you by post in advance (only to addresses in Switzerland or Liechtenstein)” mean?’

Now we know. Thanks for the feedback Mrs L. Good idea to go via the FB page. Admire you persistence. Hope you find a solution.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 19:21:31 #901829

Just a thought – have you asked your hotel for help or information about this or another luggage service? Perhaps they know how you could make this work, or maybe they know of another service or agent that could deliver your luggage. It’s not likely that you are the first guest who has needed such a service.

As someone on another travel site said, if it’s a decent place, they are likely to try to help you, and if it’s not a decent place, are you sure you want to stay there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 23:09:53 #901830

Yes I’ve done this and will hopefully receive the tags soon!

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    19 January 2019 at 17:54:46 #901831

Hi Mrsl

In the past I have found Swisspasses.com very helpful but I’m in the UK and I don’t think you say where you are. They arrange the whole thing and send you all the necessary bits. Look at http://www.swisspasses.com/swiss-fly-luggage/ which has what seems to be an up to date a paragraph or three on the matter.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2019 at 14:17:04 #901832

Hi Andrew, thanks for the information!

I’ve received the luggage tags from the hotel. Hope this works!

• The thread ‘SBB express luggage transfer from flight (1)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.