Scenic 2-day excursion between Zermatt and Zurich

• Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    7 August 2022 at 13:32:07 #827998

Hi all, I am seeking a two day excursion on the tail end of our trip departing Zermatt on a Sunday and arriving in Zurich on a Tuesday night. Scenery is top priority vice city venues. Would have already been to Luzern ,Wengen and Zermatt. Will have the Swiss Travel Pass. Someone has mentioned Chamonix – Montreux visit. Are there any other scenic places I should consider? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2022 at 21:30:08 #945294

The best tourist destination in Switzerland missing from your itinerary so far is Graubuenden. The bad news is that this region is at the opposite end of the Alps from Zermatt. However you could take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz, and spend a day touring Graubuneden or just staying in the scenic Engadin area.

For example you could go:

Sunday:

Zermatt – St Moritz

Monday:

St Moritz – Scuol Tarasp – Klosters – Davos – Filisur – St Moritz

or

St Moritz – Bernina – Tirano – St Moritz

or similar circuits

Tuesday St Moritz – Klosters – Landquart – Zurich

Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    7 August 2022 at 23:04:10 #945295

Thank you. I will research.

Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    8 August 2022 at 11:38:17 #945296

I am open to a charming scenic village like Wengen to do some local hiking for a day. 7 hours on trains to St. Moritz appears much but maybe worth it for 24 hours. Would not mind traveling toward Chur to get closer too Zurich.

Anna
    6382 posts
    8 August 2022 at 17:17:53 #945297

Hi Swede4life,

My personal recommendation would be to take the short train ride to Brig. There is plenty of local hiking you can do nearby especially within the Aletsch region comprising the three villages of Riederalp, Bettmeralp and Fiescheralp. I was in Bettmeralp recently. The Swiss Travel Pass will get you as far as Bettmeralp, a charming mountain village. From Bettmeralp you can ride the cable car for half-price to Bettmerhorn to view the Aletsch Glacier. From this point, you can hike to Riederalp, Fiescheralp or Eggishorn. Or you can hike down to the Bettmersee (small lake at Bettmeralp). There is a tourist information centre in Brig where you can find more details about hiking in the area.

Hope this gives you more options to add to your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    8 August 2022 at 19:39:11 #945298

Thank you.

• The thread ‘Scenic 2-day excursion between Zermatt and Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.