Scenic routes Zurich to Como

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2011 at 0:41:44 #804254

I have read a lot of the information already posted on the Bernina Express – both train and bus but cannot just pull it all together. i think the Bernina express starts from Chur not from Zurich once a day only. It seems the train terminates at Tirano and a bus learves from there to Lugano. I have accommodation booked at Como and would want to get off the bus there. Alternatively i believe there is a boat from Tirano to Varenna on Lake Como. How can all this be fitted together into a one day trip, preferably with one booking via the Swiss Travel system?

Alternatively i would consider Zurich to Flueren by train to then join the William Tell Express and continue to Como by train.

I have very little time to get this in place and will appreciate your advice.
    Thank you
    Judymcl

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 May 2011 at 15:24:49 #832683

Hi Judymcl,

The classical route of the Bernina Express is Chur – Tirano by train and Tirano – Lugano by bus. An alternative is the Bernina Express from Davos to Tirano. I don’t think the bus stops in Como, and I don’t know of any boats from Tirano. There are train services from Tirano to Como though, but they are not related to the Bernina Express. I suggest that you check the timetable for details. The website of the Rhätische Bahn provides details on the Bernina Express. I guess the best option for you would be to book the Bernina Express until Tirano and continue on to Como by regular train. Where to book partly depends on your country of residence. Rail Europe offers such ticket to US residents.

I hope this helps!

• The thread ‘Scenic routes Zurich to Como’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.