Scenic train route in December 2015

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2015 at 22:17:20 #808025

hi, my family of 4 will be visiting Switzerland from 13-25 December 2015. One of things we would like to do is to take a scenic train ride.

we would be based in Interlaken, Zermat and Zurich.

We had initially planned on taking the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur but the Glacier Express do not seem to be operating during my period of travel.

Please advise other routes available for scenic train rides during our period of travel. We really do not want to miss this opportunity and are flexible about the route. Thank you.

Regards, Nori

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 October 2015 at 13:01:47 #846487

Hi Nori, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Glacier Express does have a pause in Fall, from the end of October until midway December, but it will be running again from December 13 onward. You can check the timetable using the link under “More on other websites” at myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress/gettingthere. So it’s no problem to take the Glacier Express from Zermatt (myswissalps.com/zermat t) to Chur.

There are many alternatives that suit your plans: e.g. part of the Golden Pass line (myswissalps.com/golden pass) via Lucerne (myswissalps.com/lucern e) when traveling to Interlaken (myswissalps.com/interl aken), and the scenic Lötschberg Regio-Express via Goppenstein between Interlaken and Zermatt. The timetable will allow you to plan each trip in detail: myswissalps.com/timeta ble.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    17 October 2015 at 6:28:30 #846488

I feel your answer to Nori may be misleading to others. The Glacier Express may have an autumn pause but trains still run on the Glacier Express route. Some people prefer to use these trains even when the GE is running. Also your link glacierexpress/gettingthere has a mistake. For some years the train has not reversed and taken a sharp bend in Brig. The creation of a section of line to the east of Brig station means that reversal is no longer necessary although the bridge from the old route is still discernible.

Andrew

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 October 2015 at 7:28:39 #846489

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your input. My answer is directed to Nori, who wants to travel by Glacier Express and to whom the Glacier Express pause in autumn doesn’t apply; mentioning the alternative local trains to this specific forum member would thus be a bit redundant. Of course we do explain about alternative trains at our Glacier Express page. Please see the information under “Regular trains versus Glacier Express” at myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress.

Regarding the bend in Brig: you’re absolutely correct. We should have changed that before. I just adjusted the text, and we’ll change the route on the map later. Thanks for the tip!

• The thread ‘Scenic train route in December 2015’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.