Schwarzsee / Jaun / Gruyere hiking itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2019 at 21:31:38 #821630

Hi, following some recomendations I tryed to figure out some specific options for a 2.5 day hike in July. The company is myself (49) and my three boys (19, 15, 13). All good walkers and nature lovers. I concluded with the following options, but I have never been to these places so its only based on maps….

Option 1:

Monday noon – arriving at Fribourg and touring the city (we have never been to a old swiss city, except Basel and Geneve). Leavind the car beside the guesthouse.

Tuesday: Taking a bus to the Schwatrtzsee. A cable to Riggisalp and climbing to Kaiseregg. Descending and taking the Alpine panorama trail towards Jaun till Ritzlialp, where we stay overnight.

Wednesday:continuing to Jaun and maybe taking a short hike of the Gatlosen. Taking the bus to Charmey and walking the Chemin du Gruyere. taking a train back to the car in Fribourg.

Option 2:

Monday noon – arriving at Gruyere and leavung the car there. walking the Chemin du Gruyere till Charmey. sleeping at a Charmey.

Tuesday – continuing on the Alpine Panorama Trail till Jaun, and climing the Euschelipass till Ritzialp.

Wednesday – hiking further to the schwartzsee and back to Jaun/ Ritzlialp. Alternatively, hiking the Gastlosen tour. .Staying the night in Juan, and taking a bus in the morning to Gruyere where the car waits.

Are these options realistic? Do I miss something? Which is better ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2019 at 23:57:30 #912318

What a lovely itinerary – makes a nice change to see this very different itinerary planned compared to the usual stuff

Same with visiting Fribourg. Congratulations on doing something different to the ‘norm’

Also , you will see views that others don’t see. Many people don’t realise that yoo can get good views of the Alpine peaks from ‘outside’ the Alps themselves

Just one small point – no need for a ‘t’ in Schwarz (= black)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2019 at 8:16:08 #912319

Thanks for your reply! However, it was not a result of an attempt to do something different – but rather looking for a good and diverse hike in natural landscape. I will be happy for anyone who can say something about the feasibility of the itineraries, times etc. which is better, and also if there is something that we shouldn’t miss (i.e. Gestlosen vs. Scwarzsee).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2019 at 12:12:49 #912320

Hello Yoavs,

I must admit I don’t know that corner of my country very well, so all I can do is provide you with a nice link to the local tourism page, incl. nice hikes, etc.
    http://www.la-gruyere.ch/en/Z10958/h kings-trails-gruyere

Hope this provides you some input and fingers crossed that another member has more detail to share.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2019 at 8:13:17 #912321

Trying again – anyone here from the staff who does know the area enough to answer about the feasibility of the itinerary and which is better?
    Thanks in advance!
    Yoav

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    18 May 2019 at 21:02:42 #912322

Hi again yoavs,

I know the area although I have not hiked on the very trails you mention, except Gastlosen (which is spectacular). I base my judgement on the Switzerland Mobilitymap.

Option 1. You are aware that the Kaiseregg part is extra. You go up and down Riggisalp-Kaiseregg on the same trail (700 m elevation difference = approx. 2 hrs 20 min. the way up, not much less the way down). Othewise this option sounds fine to me. Have the appropriate equipment, especially if you do the Kaiseregg part (you should not do it by yourself).

Option 2 is fine, too, but the sections Gruyères – Charmey – Jaun is close to a highway, you decide if that disturbs you or not.

Whatever you choose, try to include the Gastlosen.

Best,

Snowman

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2019 at 4:13:08 #912323

Thanks, snowman! When you say equipment, what do you mean?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    19 May 2019 at 13:14:42 #912324

< When you say equipment, what do you mean? >

Well, I’m sure you know that: mainly your boots (ankle boots, not just sneakers). If you have hiking poles, have them along. Rain protection even if it’s sunny, the weather can change quickly. At least one liter water. Food for your lunch(es). And nothing else, pack light.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/preparation

• The thread ‘Schwarzsee / Jaun / Gruyere hiking itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.