Schynige Platte trails

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2010 at 12:12:35 #803807

Hi, what hikes do you recommend starting at Schynige Platte? We have two days to spend there (staying in Unterseen) and we would love to take the train up to Schynige Platte and do some hiking there. Would the tour to First be a nice one?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2010 at 3:47:06 #831204

Cassie, you absolutely must hike from Schynige Platte to First! It’s one of the most beautiful hikes I know in the Bernese Oberland. Around every corner another beautiful view waits for you. However, it’s not quite easy. I don’t know if you’re a trained hiker, in that case you will find it not too hard. If you want to take some rest from time to time or make pictures, the hike will take about six or seven hours. When you are at First you will be glad to be there too, because the views are overwhelming (where not?). At First you can take the gondola to Grindelwald, there is a train station there from where you can travel on. If you take this hike, I suggest you leave early.
    A second possibiliy is a hike at Schynige Platte. Next to the restaurant you can walk up and up to the Daube, breathtaking views, of course, from there to the Oberberghorn and walking on back to the train station (it is a roundabout hike) you can visit the Alp Garden, if you like.
    Or: you can hike back to Wilderswil, from Schynige Platte. Halfway you can take the train at Breitlauenen, or you walk down and down all the way. The first part is nice and interesting, the second part, for me, is a bit dull. Woods, woods, down and down over rocky paths… but on the other hand it might exactly be what you like.
    The trip by train from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte is something you don’t want to miss! I’m sorry – this regio always triggers my enthousiasm… ! 🙂

Thomas

Edit: I just found this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/first-schynigeplatte

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 April 2010 at 10:32:34 #831205

Dear Cassie,
    I agree with Thomas: Schynige Platte-First is absolutely stunning and it’s considered to be one of the most impressive trails in the Bernese Oberland. The route can be completed both ways, so starting at First early in the morning is an option as well. There are two advantages to this. One is that you pass the beautiful Bachalpsee close to First on a rather quiet time of the day, which (if the weather is fine) creates perfect circumstances for taking beautiful pictures. A second advantage is that the cog railway ride down from Schynige Platte takes place at the end of the day. You’ll end up in Wilderswil close to Unterseen and your trip back will be short, which may be exactly what you need after this hike :-).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2010 at 14:05:12 #831206

How can I tell in advance if the trails such as this one are free of snow (before I get to Switzerland)?
    Will be hiking 1 june 2010, and not carrying axe or crampons

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 May 2010 at 14:40:44 #831207

Hi jkspa1, and welcome to the forum! Best chances of snow free trails at these altitudes are in July and August/September. June is alright in many cases as well, but you can best ask the local tourist office about the current circumstances one day before you’ve planned to go hiking. The valley station of the First cable car or the Schynige Platte cog train can provide that information as well. A bit of snow on flat sections is usually no problem, but other sections can be dangerous with snow.

To get an idea of the local circumstances, viewing a web cam can help too.

I hope this helps you out. If you can, it would be great if you could post here what your hike was like.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2010 at 14:51:49 #831208

Thanks.

• The thread ‘Schynige Platte trails’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.