Seat Reservation on Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2015 at 7:21:09 #807476

Hi moderator,

We wish to use the Rail Europe website (http://www.raileurope-world.com) to book our Swiss Pass and seat reservation of the Bernina Express(BE) so that we can use the promo code to save € 20. We have chosen the 2nd class Swiss Pass and then wish to reserve seat of the BE. It only has the choice on “Flexible fare on 1st class”. Does it mean that we do not have to reserve the seat on 2nd class, or we cannot reserve the seat using 2nd class Swiss travel pass? The reservation on Rail Europe website does not allow us to choose the seat.

I realize that I can choose the seat via http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express. This website has a statement, “The coaches direction of travel are without guarantee.” I saw most window seats on the L side of the 2nd class were taken on Coach 3. It looks like that people thinks that L side seats are better. How many coaches BE usually have ? The reservation on 1st class on the same train is not available. I have a little concern if the Coach 3 is the last coach.

Is BE seat reservation is “mandatory?”. Do we have to reserve seat for the return trip from Tirano to St. Moritz?

Thank you

JP

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 June 2015 at 9:23:47 #844073

Hi JP,

You do have to reserve seats for both 1st and 2nd class. This only applies to the Bernina Express, not to regular trains on the same route. I just tried and did find 2nd class seats as well. I went to http://www.raileurope-world.com#tab3 and selected St. Moritz to Tirano, 2nd class (it defaults to 1st!), 1 adult and 31 July. The only problem I did see is that the list of passes does not show the Swiss Travel Pass. I did until recently so I think that’s a temporary issue. I’ll keep an eye on that.

I don’t know the exact number of coaches, but as far as I know it’s more than 3 in Summer. I would prefer the right side of the train because of the view on the Bernina pass lakes, but any side is fine, and the direction isn’t guaranteed anyway.

The Swiss Travel Pass can be found through http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-pass.

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2015 at 7:42:04 #844074

The Swiss Travel Pass is back in the list, so you should be able to book now.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2015 at 0:15:03 #844075

Hi Arno,

I am not sure if I have done it correctly. I tried again with our itineraries but it still only showed 1st class seat reservation. Would you mind helping me to check: Sept 4/15 8:32 Chur to Tirano? We will purchase 8-day swiss travel pass.

I wish to clarify the orientation of the coach when you said “Right” side. The coach seating plan is horizontal. The luggage storage compartment is on top of the seating plan. Should we choose the seat parallel to the luggage storage comp. or across it? Most of seats across the compartment of coach 3 are booked. I referred this side to be the Left side and the seat parallel to the luggage area to be Right side.

Thank you

JP

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 June 2015 at 14:13:10 #844076

Hi JP,

I just checked through to links in my initial post and was able to get 2nd class seats. Attached are the two steps to get there. You have to select 2nd class in the first step, that’s very important.

I slightly prefer the right side of the train but I don’t know how that lines up with the seats shown when booking through the other site. They say “the coaches direction of travel are without guarantee”, so there’s no way to know for sure I’m afraid.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2015 at 3:42:42 #844077

Hi Arno

Appreciate your step to step guidance via the attachments. I did overlook the choice of 2nd class in the first step. We have booked the 8 day pass and have reserved the BE using the promotion code. I have sent an email to Rhaetian Railway to inquire about the no. of coaches. They replied that coach 4-6 were booked by a group. We have reserved 2 seats on coach 3 before they are all gone.

I wish to ask about how the 8 days count. When will it be expired if we initiate the use on Aug 28 at 6 p.m. at Zurich airport ?Thank youJP

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 July 2015 at 8:31:30 #844078

Hi JP,

Good to hear it worked out for you! Your pass will be valid until September 4 (inclusive). It’s explained on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ howtouse.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2015 at 16:53:28 #844079

Hi Arno,

Appreciate the reply and the link to check the counting of 8-days. So, 8-day Swiss Travel Pass can be used for traveling on Aug 29 (12:00 AM), 30, 31, Sept 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and its validity ends on Sept 6, 5:00 AM.

I also receive an email about Swiss Coupon Pass. Is it worth to have one if we have already had a travel pass? Other than the webshop of the Swiss Railways: https://www.swissrailways.com, can we buy it after we have arrived Zurich. The price CHF 59 is good but the shipping probably very costly.

Thank you

JP

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 July 2015 at 18:42:31 #844080

Yes, that’s a correct example!

The Swiss Coupon Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass are different products and don’t offer the same discounts. So if the coupon pass includes discounts on attractions or restaurants that interest you, then yes, it’s worth it. You can save a lot if you plan well (see here). If you choose a delivery address in Switzerland (your hotel), shipping is just CHF 6. I don’t know of any other way to purchase it. If you go for it, please do let us know whether you liked it. It’s a new product so opinions are welcome!

• The thread ‘Seat Reservation on Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.