Seat reservation on Panoramic trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2014 at 20:46:08 #806544

Hi Annika/Arno, could you please help!

I’ve been trying to make seat reservations ( Swiss pass 1st class) for Glacier Express for Sept.27 via link http://www.glacierexpress.ch and got message that seats are only available for the 28th. Trying to book for the 28th I keep getting the message “your inquiry took too long, reload the page using below link:” Reload page”.The system keeps reloading page but does not allow to make the booking. Tried several times.

Then I tried booking the reservation via Raileurope.ca their system accepts the booking for Sept.27 (sic!) but the price is C$61/person which is C$20 more then the actual price ( CHF 33 ). Does it mean that Raileurope has priority/exclusivity to book reservations? How can I be even sure the reservation is correct?

Could you please help and send me the correct links to buy Swiss saver pass ( 2people) using any presently available promotions and to make seat reservation on the panoramic trains Glacier Express and Wilhelm Tell ( if required or highly recommended). Thank you so much. Abidagi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 July 2014 at 11:34:40 #840736

Hi Abidagi,

I just checked and you are right, the seats are indeed more expensive at the Rail Europe site. However, they have a Swiss Pass promotion resulting in the pass being cheaper than when purchased in Switzerland. So I think the most easy thing to do is get everything from one website. Here are the links:

By the way, I don’t think Rail Europe has priority on seat reservations, but I do know that seats are distributed over resellers (including the local railway company itself) somehow, so they may sell out in one place and not in the other. I once booked seats by just e-mailing the local railways, but I did not actually get them until I reached the rail station just before departure. Not sure if they still do that, but through the above links you can get everything you need and be set for the trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2014 at 12:05:23 #840737

Thank you so much Arno for all info and clarifications. I’ll follow your advise. Great help! Greetings from Canada………….Abidagi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2014 at 15:44:04 #840738

Arno/ Annika , could you clarify if there is any advantage of buying Swiss Saver Pass on line from Swiss Railways versus buying in Switzerland at the beginning of the trip at the railway station. I’ll be paying with Visa in CDN $, do they charge 3% visa exchange fee as Rail Europe and others do? I’m leaving home in 3 weeks and am concerned that the Swiss passes may be delivered by mail late. Thanks again………..Abidagi

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 July 2014 at 16:22:52 #840739

Hi Abidagi,

My suggestion in my previous post was to buy from Rail Europe through the pages I gave you. The $75 off is not being offered by the Swiss railways webshop (http://www.swissrailways.com), nor by railway stations in Switzerland. Only by Rail Europe. Rail Europe does not charge for shipping, there is no 3% fee, and there won’t be exchange rate costs because you can pay in CDN$. Shipping takes 2 to 3 days, so that’s no problem.

If you purchase from the Swiss railways webshop, there will be a credit card fee (I think about 1.5%), plus shipping costs to Canada, and payments cannot be made in CDN$. There’s no fee for debit cards. I think the same applies at Swiss rail stations, although shipping would not apply of course. But there won’t be a discount either.

I hope this clarifies things!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2014 at 21:04:27 #840740

Thanks Arno. Things are clear now. Take care………..Abidagi

• The thread ‘Seat reservation on Panoramic trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.