Section 2: Pontresina to Tirano by Berina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 12:28:44 #815986

I am planning to take the Berina Express 2nd section trip from Pontresina to Tirano and back to Pontresina on a day trip. I have STP and I understand there is a need to make seat reservation for both ways. Do I have to make seat reservation now as I will be there around 3rd week of June 2018? Or could I book it when I reach St Morit areas?

I am into photography, is there a way that I can travel this route and alight at certain point to take pictures? Any advice will be much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 May 2018 at 12:42:48 #885256

Hi Simage,

You only need reservations if you want to travel on the actual Bernina Express. Personally I would take it one way, and take a regular train back, but taking the Express twice is of course possible. For your goal the regular trains would be best.

A reservation is valid for one specific train, so if you get off that train it will be expired. You can book a reservation when you are in St. Moritz. But, the risk of the train being booked out increases as the travel date gets closer.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 17:07:02 #885257

Thanks Arno for the advice. I was thinking to take Bernina Express to Tirano around third week of June. Do I need to make reservation online to ensure I can get a seat?

How do I take regular train on the trip back to Pontresina? Do I take this train from Tirano Station and is it all the way or I need to change train on the way back?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 17:48:53 #885258

Hi Simage,

Yes, you should do that online.

Use the Swiss railways timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). Click the plus icon of a travel option to see more details and if / where you need to change trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 4:02:01 #885259

Thanks Chantal for the information.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 May 2018 at 4:10:15 #885260

For the Bernina Express you need a reservation just to get on the train not just to ensure a seat.

Best place for bookings is http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#cart.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 2:33:07 #885261

Thanks Rockoyster for the info. I was thinking of taking Bernina Express from St Moritz to Tirano and then take a local train back to St Moritz, The reason is I wanted to take photos from the train windows that Bernina Express might not offer such means. Am I correct? If I could take photos in the Express train, then it would be easier that we travel back to St Moritz by Bernina Express.

Do the local trains travel back to St Moritz and how do I go about doing it? Is it cover by STP? Would taking local train give me more opportunity to shoot the scenery and do they travel back the same route as Bernina Express?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 3:32:59 #885262

I presume you mean take photos without the glare on the glass you will get in the panoramic windows. I have never been on the regular trains on that route so not sure how easy it is to just drop a window and lean out. Pity you aren’t travelling in July – see bit.ly/2IHjo47.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out what regular trains ply that route. You can just hop on and off at will with an STP. You will find the actual Bernina Express trains denoted BEX. Not all BEX run from St Moritz. From Chur to Tirano the nearest they get to St Moritz is Pontresina.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 4:50:35 #885263

Yes, I am refering to the reflection or glare on the glass. Thanks for the info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 4:53:20 #885264

So is only July and August that they offer open top train. Yes, miss this opportunity.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 6:14:50 #885265

Hi Simage,

I wonder if you took the photo you are using as you profile picture? Would love to see a larger version. One of the things that surprised me about Switzerland was the number of birds of prey we saw while there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 6:34:02 #885266

Hi Rockoyster

Yes I took that bird shot. Is a Black Winged Kite shot in Singapore here. I love to photograph wildlife. You are welcome to view some of the shots at http://www.torshots.com/Wildl ife-and-Nature/Avian.

Where is the place in Switzerland that we could see birds of prey? Not sure if I can post a larger version version of the photos here as is not relevant to the forum.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 7:31:23 #885267

Hi Simage,

Thanks for the link. Some nice shots.

We saw birds of prey from the trains while out in the countryside. Not so much in the mountains – more in the rolling green farmlands I guess. Someone else on the forum might have some ifo on the best places to go look for them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 13:15:26 #885268

Thanks Rockoyster. I will look out for them.

• The thread ‘Section 2: Pontresina to Tirano by Berina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.