Self Storage

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2012 at 20:18:48 #805062

Hi ,

I am planning to spend 10 days in Switzerland sometime in July . Since I am in transit I will be travelling with around 6 large luggage pieces ( 29 inches ) . I have inquired at the Zurich airport and the storage charges work out to ~ CHF 400. Is there a self storage option close to the Zurich airport. I am thinking that I save around CHF 200 by using a self storage . Also , since I am in transit ..can I even rent a self storage unit.

Thanks in anticipation for any guidance I can get from the members of this wonderful forum.

Regards
    Anil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 March 2012 at 15:03:40 #835340

Hello Anil, and welcome! If you need to reach another Swiss destination during or after your stay in Zurich, the (fast) baggage service of the SBB is worth considering. You can just hand in your luggage at the Zurich main railway station and indicate where you want to pick it up; most larger railway stations participate in this service. Lockers are available, but they will be quite expensive for 10 days. Most larger railways have storage facilities too. The luggage departments at the Zurich Airport and Zurich main railway stations will be able to provide you with more information and prices. Contact information can be found at the pages I just linked to.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2012 at 17:52:04 #835341

Thanks Annika ,

I was communicating with the luggage office at Zurich as well as Zebra Box and here’s what I have . Thought it may be useful to others:

Response from Zurich left luggage office :
    You can store your suitcases in the left luggage office (Terminal 2, 1st floor).
    It would cost CHF 12.- per bag for the first 24 hours and CHF 7.- per bag for each additional day.

Response from Zebra Box :
    1) Monthly rent for 3m3 – 87 CHF , 6 m3 – 149 CHF and 9m3 – 198 CHF . The minimum rent for all three sizes however is 100 CHF.
    2 ) Dimensions of 3m3 : Length 1m, Width 0.97m, Height 3m ::: 6m3 Length 1.72m, Width 1.49m, Height 2.26m
    3) Passport is required at the time of signing the contract and the procedure usually takes around 15 minutes
    4) Payment is accepted only in CHF
    5) They can organize transport on request . But usually you have to store the items by yourself

I used google maps to find out the distance from Zurich International airport to the storage facility it is 5.6 KM ( I need to confirm this ). Found them to be very prompt with email response.

Regards
    Anil

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 March 2012 at 8:42:22 #835342

Thank you for sharing that, Anil! That’s very informative.

• The thread ‘Self Storage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.