Shopping: Are items price controlled centrally ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2010 at 2:39:06 #803834

When I visited Switzerland 3 years back. I brought a watch at Murren village – first sight I love it. Even though I my feeling tells me high up the mountain, things are naturally more expensive due to logistic etc.

Upon moving on to other city, in Montreaux I saw exactly the same watch retailing at the same price. Likewise for some other souvenirs I kept in sight.

Is my impression right that the merchandise items in Switzerland is more or less price control by some agency or similar ? So anywhere I buy the item, price is the same ? It is something I like to clear up since 3 years ago. Hope someone could help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    31 May 2010 at 13:43:05 #831312

Hi MeltyMel and welcome to this forum! I’m not sure if prices are controlled that strictly throughout Switzerland. Specific brands and factories may make this choice. For example, I experienced myself that a Victorinox knife high upon the Pilatus mountain station near Lucerne had the same price as in other shops. I did find price differences though for the exact same Mondaine watch, so I don’t think there’s one rule applying to all cases.

The two places you mentioned (Mürren and Montreux) are popular tourist spots at which prices may be higher than elsewhere in the country. But then again, these touristy places are of course the locations where you’re most likely to find this kind of merchandise.

Prices for products which aren’t exactly the same, but comparable (from another brand or manufacturer) can differ a lot. Some supermarkets and larger warehouses offer merchandise items that look a lot like the ones in expensive boutiques, but in fact are cheaper. To give a silly example: mugs with the Swiss flag printed on them are for sale in tourist shops, but sometimes in supermarkets such as Migros and Coop as well – and they can be a lot cheaper there.

I know this is not a conclusive answer to your question, but I hope it clarifies things a bit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2010 at 20:53:03 #831313

Hi, thank you for the insight. It is indicative enough for me to grab something, well … something. When buying, utlimately we still need to go by a little senses. Thanks a lot.

• The thread ‘Shopping: Are items price controlled centrally ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.