Zurich to Lugano seat reservations Easter weekend?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 14:16:06 #820131

We will be in Zurich for a few days in April and have bought a Saver Day Pass (class 2) for Saturday April 20th. We plan to do a day trip to Lugano and are unsure how busy the trains might be on Easter weekend. Are the trains frequent enough that if one is full, we wait for the next one?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 16:05:25 #905098

Hi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Generally-speaking you do not require seat reservations on Swiss trains. However, the Easter weekend on major routes at peak times (Thursday night or returning late on Easter Monday) may be quite busy, so if you are a group and want to make sure you are able to sit together, it is possible to reserve.

More about seat reservations here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

Another option (if there are just 2 of you for example) is to buy a first class upgrade for the leg of the train that will be busy. I have done this many times when I see the train is too full or I just feel like I need a little more comfort or peace and quiet (if I’m working on the train for example). It is possible to board and pay for this upgrade directly to the conductor when they check your ticket. OR, you can do it in advance of travel if you prefer to be organised.

Swiss travel is so efficient that you can actually see which trains will be busy! Just go to this link and make sure you have a look at the Advanced timetable for occupancy rates: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

In this way you can also decide to leave earlier or later to avoid the masses!

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Zurich to Lugano seat reservations Easter weekend?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.