Sightseeing around Brig and Naters in Switzerland

• Pauly
    Participant
    17 posts
    9 January 2021 at 9:49:49 #825760

Hello from Holland!

My best wishes for a happy and healthy 2021 and a huge thank-you to the moderating team for keeping this website “in the air”! I hope we will soon be able to visit Switzerland again…

A few month ago Arno put out on Facebook the question about our favourite places in Switzerland – I answered “Basel and Brig”, but my answer on his question “why” has somehow gotten “snowed under”… I love Brig because of its southern charm and history as well as its central position for hikes and other adventures. I have been there several times already. I would like to draw the forum members’ attention to its neighbour-town Naters, on the east bank of the river Rhone: it has a long history, but also a well-preserved old centre with wonderful Walser houses and a church dating back to the 12th century (St. Mauritius Church) – both worth a visit! (pictures 1 and 2).

Another interesting site nearby is the defensive wall dating back to the 14th century and situated between Brig and Brigerbad (I really liked the wellness!) near the village of Gamsen: it has not only served as a barrier against flooding by the mountain stream Gamsa, but also against enemy attacks from the lower parts of the Rhone Valley. The wall has been restored and well-documented (unfortunately only in German). The “Gamser Landmauer” is listed in the Swiss inventory for historical buildings and sights of national importance and it is unique in its kind (pictures 3 and 4).

Best regards!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    9 January 2021 at 10:51:21 #934571

Hi Pauly,

Thanks for that useful information.

Happy new year and regards,

Anna

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 January 2021 at 16:07:59 #934572

Thank you Pauly. I didn’t know about the town center in Naters. That’s certainly something to keep in mind and add to my (long) wish list!

• The thread ‘Sightseeing around Brig and Naters in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.