Sledging and hiking at Bussalp and First

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2020 at 21:23:35 #825231

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are planning to go sledging in Grindelwald on March 9. We have been doing some research and I have a few questions regarding the sledging. We were planning on taking the cable car from Grindelwald to First and then hiking up to Faulhorn. From Faulhorn we would sledge down to Bussalp and probably stop into the restaurant and then continue sledging down the “City Run” to the base of Grindelwald.

However, I have a couple questions and we are very open to changing up our plans regarding your suggestions.

1) Has any one made the hike to the top (Faulhorn)? Have you made the hike from Bussalp or from First? Any suggestions on which one is a more preferable hike? (We are both ~30 and in good shape)

2) There is a bus that goes to Bussalp and a cable car/gondola that goes to First. We plan on taking one or the other depending on where we decide to hike from (as of now, we plan on taking the cable car to First, but are open to your suggestions re: question 1). Is the cable car or bus covered by the Swiss Travel Pass? If not, are they covered by the Half pass? (We are still deciding which one to get but based on our travel plans we are leaning toward the Swiss Travel Pass)

3) Anything else to note on our plan?

Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    16 February 2020 at 12:21:15 #930221

Hi arg13891!

Wonderful that you plan on day full of hiking and skiing in the wintry First area. As for your questions:

1) I’d prefer your current plan: hiking from First to Faulhorn, then sledding down to Bussalp and Grindelwald. Bussalp-Faulhorn would be a pretty challenging hike with an ascent of nearly 900 metres. First-Faulhorn is relatively easy. The first stretch to the Bachsee (http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/bachsee) is a well-groomed and easy path; from Bachsee to the Faulhorn it’s a 400 m ascent.

2) Both the gondolas from Grindelwald to First as well as the bus to/from Bussalp are 50% discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card. You can check validity details at

Not all bus lines can be indicated at the validity maps, that’s why the stretch to Bussalp doesn’t show. Help on finding the right pass is provided at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    18 February 2020 at 7:08:46 #930222

Hi arg14891,

1) I have hiked to Faulhorn twice, I think. Once from First, and once from Schynigge Platte. Always,in summer. I agree with Annika, you should,start from First. However you don’t have to reach Faulhorn. The sleigh trail starts a bit below, as shown on this map.

3) The bus is there to bring you up if you just want to sleigh to Grindelwald, or to bring you down if there is not enough snow below Bussalp. Not to bring you closer to Faulhorn. And yes, it is a good idea to stop at Bussalp restaurant. No sure you’ll make it in time for lunch, though.

• The thread ‘Sledging and hiking at Bussalp and First’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.