Snow at Jungfrau in Summer season?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2016 at 15:04:00 #808978

Hi,

Like I had asked in another post of mine yesterday about skipping the Jungfrau for Mt. Pilatus, during this Swiss Trip of ours we could not visit the Jungfrau mainly because we were staying a little distant (Gersau)….. But both me and my wife were quite spell bound by the Spring-time beauty of Swiss with part snow and part flowers blooming. I assume that as summer approaches properly (June-July), everything will be all green with flowers all over.

We do plan to visit here again, probably in the summer (June-July) of 2017 and this time for a little longer and stay in Luzern or Interlaken area. I have a couple of questions though :

1. Does the Jungfrau and Titlis tops still remain snow covered during those months ?

When we went to Titlis on 19th April, we got a lot of snow all around (from Trubsee and upwards) to ski, play around, snow tube etc. So would we get the same at the mountain peaks even in summer ?

2. Does the weather still remain unpredictable with possibilities of rain during summer ?

3. Is it too cold during that time to be requiring a ski jacket type stuff ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    23 April 2016 at 7:42:15 #851096

Hi sskundu,

Yes, you’ll find snow at the highest mountain tops like Titlis and Jungfraujoch all year round, although obviously it won’t be as much as in April and May. In summer too weather is still changeable and unpredictable, but chances of more or less stable warm conditions are higher than in spring. In most cases a light wind and water proof jacket will do, combined with a warm (fleece) sweater.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2016 at 7:45:20 #851097

Thanks Annika,

At Titlis, on 19th, we found enough snow to be digging into, making balls and snowman….. So does the amount stay same in summers or its just patches and we walk on the rocks / stones instead of snow ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 April 2016 at 8:00:02 #851098

The ice cap on Mount Titlis did suffer from the warm summer last year. Things like that will probably happen more often because of global warming. There will be snow but how much depends on the weather that season. Still it will be one of the best places to go to in summer. Jungfraujoch too. There are high peaks near Zermatt and Saas-Fee as well that are worth it if you want to touch snow.

As you’ve experienced by now the weather is very unpredictable. Tonight, there might even be snowfall as low as 700 m, which is rare in late April but obviously possible.

• The thread ‘Snow at Jungfrau in Summer season?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.