Snow level early June Surenenpass and Jochpass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2016 at 19:05:35 #809294

My wife and I are planning a trip in early June, and would like opinions on if a couple of passes will be passable. My concerns are Surenenpass (2289m) and Jochpass (2208m). Will these passes by safe the first week of June?

We’re experienced hikers planning to bring light snow gear (microspikes, trekking poles, gaiters) but not snowshoes. Hiking in knee deep snow for a couple km is no problem, hiking in chest deep for several km is a problem.

Here is our rough itinerary:

04JUN: start Altdorf UR, cable car Attinghausen to Brüsti, cross Surenenpass to Spannorthütte SAC (~6 km east of Engelberg)

05JUN: Hike Spannorthütte SAC to Engstlenalp. (cable cars not running)

06JUN: Hike Engstlenalp to Meiringen (via Planplatten if possible, otherwise along the Gental)

07JUN: Hike Meiringen to Grindelwald

08JUN: Hike Grindelwald to Lobhornhütte (~3km NW of Lauterbrunnen)

Thanks you for any opinions-

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 May 2016 at 0:05:33 #852409

Hi Cwhit –

I have no personal experience, but that does not stop me from having opinions. In normal years, you would likely be about one to two weeks early for that altitude. . Late June is a lot more predictable.

It snowed in Zermatt in the last couple of days…

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 May 2016 at 5:45:52 #852410

Hi cwhit, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Early June is when huts start to open; this applies to the Spannorthütte as well. The exact dates depend on the trail conditions. You’d best check with the tourist office when you’re there. They have the latest updates. My guess is that you’re too early this year. Planplatten for example, is still snow covered. Not an occasional patch of snow but quite a thick layer. That’s more than you’d like to walk in as it’s difficult to navigate and slippery.

We suffer from some technical issues right now so you may not be able to immediately reply. Sorry for the inconvenience, we are working on it.

• The thread ‘Snow level early June Surenenpass and Jochpass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.