Advanced booking hotels Jungfrau region September?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2012 at 10:26:48 #805591

I started out planning to do the the Via Alpina on the Activity Workshop schedule. I’ve now decided to bail out at Grosse Scheidegg. Current plan has me coming down from Faulhorn September 30th. I have the TJR book and I’m thinking to bypass the Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen area and sneak up on Murren from behind. One thing that has dogged me in planning this whole trip is the need to book lodging in advance. I have every night booked from Sargans to Faulhorn. So much for spontaneity. Lately I’ve become suspicious that booking for weekends is a good idea but during the work week not so necessary. I’d like to hear any thots anyone has on the lodging situation from Widerswil to Murren. Looks like the whole trek will be week days with the first night being Sunday at Saxeten.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2012 at 8:51:37 #837091

I’ve hiked the Swiss trails you are intending to. Nepal as well. The only common factor is that you can hike for weeks without carrying very much weight. Other than that Switzerland is entirely different. There is no cultural component and no sense of being away from anything. Think of it as a very big park. In places a theme park.
    I can sympathize with your feelings about advance booking. The problem is if you arrive some place like Murren without a reservation the only rooms left could be $500 +!+! I think once you start making reservations, as you have, you may as well continue. You’re already tied to a schedule. Flexibility isn’t an option unless you are willing to to cancel, lose deposits, and run the risk of not finding economical stays. Even on weekends, even on the shoulder of the season, and even on lesser done sections. Give up and play the game. The section you’re asking about is only a couple of slack days on mild trails. And there is really no choice about where to stay along the way. Relax. Take a book.
    I think you were on the right track when you started out looking into Walserweg. That you couldn’t get much info on it is encouraging in itself. Probably no glamourous big name mountains or need for a detailed itinerary.
    Happy trails

• The thread ‘Advanced booking hotels Jungfrau region September?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.