Spring flowers in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 8:25:32 #805943

Hello everyone,
    I am seeking advice for friends this time! They will be in Interlaken during the second half of May and wish to see spring flowers (they are recently retired and have previously only visited Switzerland during high season of school holidays). The earliest visits we have made ourselves were a couple of times in early and then mid-June and the first time we did that there was still snow up on Brienzer Rothorn with only a few flowers poking their heads through the snow! In later June we did the walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and were lucky enough to see quite a lot of different spring flowers on that walk. We also went up to Retterli (I think from Schonried?) where we saw drifts of tiny crocuses, gentians and primroses etc. I am a bit worried on their behalf that in May there may not be much to see. When does the Schynigge Platte railway open for the summer season? As it is further south I wondered if the Alpine Garden at Rochers-de-Naye above Montreux might be a better bet? We ourselves usually visit in July/August so don’t know much about conditions at other times of year so would be grateful if anyone can help us to help them!
    Thank you
    Maggie
    PS We are busy researching and planning for this year’s trip – a whole month this year mid-July to mid-August, apartment accommodation booked in Thun, flights booked and paid for and Swiss Saver Pass ordered! Despite this being our 14th visit I have found out about a long list of places we haven’t been to yet – no danger one could ever get bored when visiting Switzerland, is there?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    22 April 2013 at 11:05:23 #838501

Hi Maggie,

As for your last question: nope!
    🙂

Great that you will be visiting CH again!

Annika
    7124 posts
    23 April 2013 at 14:33:52 #838502

Hi Maggi! Great that you’re planning a 14th trip for yourselves! And you’re right, you can spend endless holidays on exploring the entire country. Please let us know about your new plans! As for your friends’ trip: May generally is a bit too early to enjoy the full range of spring flowers. The Schynige Platte track doesn’t open earlier than June, so that’s not an option. The Alpine Garden up at Rochers-de-Naye is still at about 2000 metres, but they could give it a try, especially if Spring has been mild. Their best bet would be to plan hikes down in the valleys and at moderate altitudes. The Spring scenery is breathtaking anyway, and they’ll definitely get to see flowers in the valleys. Does that help a bit?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2013 at 6:28:59 #838503

Thanks Annika,
    you have confirmed my concerns about May being rather early for spring flowers and I have told them that Schynige Platte will not yet be open and advised them to try Rochers-de-Naye. If the weather is mild then Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg might just be possible as they can reach Mannlichen from Wengen but not from Grindelwald though they will have to check at the tourist office in Interlaken. I also wondered if the funicular to Allmendhubel might be running in May as there is a flower trail there.
    As for our trip, we will have the Swiss Saver Pass so will be able to travel around easily and I will draw up 2 lists, a clear weather plan and a dull weather plan so we can decide as we go along. We haven’t yet been to Rheinfalls or Titlis so they are high on the list and we would like to visit the St. Bernard dog museum in Martigny and do a cruise on Lake Zurich. There are a couple of cities we would like to explore properly like Basel and Winterthur that we visited for Christmas markets but didn’t “do” thoroughly. We will also re-visit some favourite haunts too and also some of the hidden gems that are off the main tourist track so less busy. I use my little synoptic map that comes with the Pass, find a place we haven’t been to, google it to see what’s there and use timetable to see how to get there! It’s amazing how much there is to explore!
    I will post again when I have firmer plans or queries.
    Thanks again
    Maggie

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    24 April 2013 at 13:47:51 #838504

Hi Maggie,

Unfortunately the Allmendhubel lift doesn’t operate from April 15 – June 7

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2013 at 13:50:31 #838505

Hi Kim,
    thank you for that information.
    Maggie

Annika
    7124 posts
    1 May 2013 at 10:33:38 #838506

Hi Maggie. Your holiday plans sound great once again. Please keep us updated!

• The thread ‘Spring flowers in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.