SRF Meteo weather app available in English?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2019 at 22:35:55 #821818

I have read a few travel guides that recommend the Meteo weather app for use in Switzerland. It appears to be the main weather information guide for Switzerland. I downloaded the Meteo app for my Android phone and have a very limited knowledge of German so I can navigate the website and have a general understanding, but I wondered if anyone is aware of an English translation of this app. There does not seem to be an option for this within the app. I really would like to use it on my trip because it allows me to input the locations my wife and I wish to visit as favorites and thus get a quick look at the temperatures on the Schilthorn and Gornergrat etc when we might be at a lower elevation in Interlaken. I can use the app in its current form but I’d like to understand more of the language around the forecasts. Thanks for any help.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2019 at 23:30:20 #913227

You don’t need the app as such just web access: search for ‘meteo Swiss’ and you should get the English version of the official Swiss met office website.

The English version is not complete though – some page are only available in the official languages. However, much of the forecast is shown by symbols.

Another thing you can do is tune in to SRF 1 television at about 7.50 pm each evening. You won’t understand the met office presenters’ Swiss German but the maps and symbols give you enough information.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2019 at 23:36:37 #913228

My copy of MeteoSwiss app on a iPhone operates in English and did so from the moment I installed it. But I have no idea how to set the language. I presume it operates in English because I have my preferred language set to English on the iPhone. Not sure if there is such a thing on Android. Main point is the app does provide English explanations if you can work out how to make it happen.

Arno
    15485 posts
    25 May 2019 at 7:29:19 #913229

Hi Rhalloran,

You’ll find links to this app, and others, here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites. Perhaps trying those links from their English page makes a difference for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2019 at 13:59:25 #913230

Thanks to all for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2019 at 17:53:28 #913231

I downloaded the meteoswiss app in Australia and all the headings are in aenglish but the forecast starts “in the north:” and continues in German.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2019 at 14:09:16 #913232

You folks are great! Thank you for all the helpful information. I have looked at the Meteo website to get an English version of the weather, but I am also using the German language app for Meteo frequently and have actually been enjoying translating it and converting Celsius to Fahrenheit etc. I have entered about 6 of the general locations I will travel to based on the elevations and can now get the Meteo weather information on those locations. Thank you all.

• The thread ‘SRF Meteo weather app available in English?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11170 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.