St Moritz to Chur on Bernina or Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2020 at 7:00:28 #824895

I have just booked my bus and train reservations from Lugarno to St Moritz on the Bernina Express for May. I also want to book a reservation from St Moritz to Chur a couple of days later but this combination of stations is not available on the 3 websites I tried (HappyRail, Rhb and SBB) for either the Bernina Express or Glacier Express. Can you suggest what I am doing wrong please.

Also, is the Bernina or Glacier Express better for this section? I am planning on using a Swiss Travel Pass Flex and will be travelling for over a month in Switzerland. I will use local trains most of the time but thought it would be good to travel on the Panorama Express trains for a few trips.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2020 at 9:57:31 #928028

From St Moritz to Chur just take a regular train. You don’t need the added expense of seat reservations for such a short journey. The scenery doesn’t get any better with bigger windows. 😉

I strongly recommend using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train timetables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2020 at 17:48:17 #928029

Hi JJeff,

from St. Moritz to Chur you can take the Glacier Express. Or you can travel by local trains too, as Rockoyster suggested. You can read about this part of the route at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere and buy your tickets and/or seat reservation at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets.

You can also read the differences between the panoramic trains and local trains at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress.

In case you choose to treat yourself with a panoramic train, make sure to book your seats in advance.

If you are not sure about your Swiss rail pass download the spreadsheet from http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. It also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes, be sure to study it carefully. This and the guide will help you to choose the best rail pass.

Also see:

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2020 at 19:36:05 #928030

Actually the Bernina Express is not even an option. It does not run north from St Moritz. You would need to get from St Moritz to Pontresina to catch the BEX. See timetable at http://www.rhb.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/redaktion/Home_Marketing/Panoramazuege/Bernina_Express/Fahrplaene/BEX_Fahrplan_de_en_it_fr_WEB.pdf.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2020 at 20:21:17 #928031

Thanks rockoyster and Ildiko. I will take the local train. I have done much as you suggest to plan for my trip. Your website and forum have helped enormously.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2020 at 1:48:19 #928032

Apart from the Lugano – Tirano bus, there is no real need to pay any extra money for the ‘panorama’ coaches. All the trains in Canton Graubünden are operated by the Canton’s defacto ‘National Railway’ the Rhätische Bahn (RhB). All the coaches have large windows, and the key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine, especially on the Bernina, where many of the spectacular views are below you not above you.

On the Bernina railway the vast majority of trains have coaches with large windows, more than adequate for seeing the scenery, and there are some open top wagons in the summer.

Take care with the hyped-up marketing of the Glacier Express. You can ignore it in this instance. St Moritz – Chur is the Unesco World Heritage Albula Railway, a star in its own right. There are fast trains (IR) once per hour in each direction, formed of recently introduced bang up to date fixed formation ‘Alvra’ trains (Alvra is the Rumantsch language word for Albula)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2020 at 4:29:21 #928033

Thank you 1960man. I forgot that if you are up in the mountains the view can be down! The information about the Albula Railway is also very good to know.

• The thread ‘St Moritz to Chur on Bernina or Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.