Stand alone seats on Gotthard Panorama Express

• Annepepper
    Participant
    3 posts
    21 March 2019 at 8:31:18 #820522

Hi. I’m trying to book seat reservations on the Gottard panorama Express. Could anyone tell me what stand alone seats are in the drop down box for seat preferences. Is it 1 seat facing another on it’s own?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 2:13:19 #907131

This is ‘take it or leave it’ advice, but…

Personally I am sceptical of the attraction of the Gotthard Panorama Express. It is an attempt to keep some tourism going on the Gotthard ‘mountain route’ since the rest of the fast trains now go through the base tunnel. However, you see mainly valleys not high mountains. Also it is reservation obligatory and first class only.

Also, the train gets rather lonely – part of the ‘romance’ of the Gotthard route previously was that your train competed for space on the line with huge long international long distance trains carrying 000s of passengers a day between northern and southern Europe, and those passenger trains interacted and weaved in between dozens of heavy freight trains lumbering back and forth across the Alps. None of this happens any more.

(It could also be argued that it is just a way of finding a use for very expensive panorama cars that Swiss Federal Railways bought but don’t have now have any other use for them…)!

More economical might be for you to take any boat Luzern – Fluelen. Then take the train Fluelen – Erstfeld. Change at Erstfeld into the regional train that takes the same old mountain route but at no extra cost, and runs direct through to Como (and Milano)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 March 2019 at 3:27:11 #907132

Hello Anne

Yes, I believe the “stand-alone seats” are the pair of single seats facing each other. The 1st Class seating configuration is 1 x 1 on one side and 2 x 2 on the other side of the cabin. As of this year the Gotthard Panorama Express is 1st Class only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 8:35:55 #907133

Hi Anne and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Some very useful advice from our experts, and in addition I’d like to give you a link so you can read more about tickets and reservations: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress

All the best on your travels!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Stand alone seats on Gotthard Panorama Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.