Similar towns to Stein am Rhein?

Similar towns to Stein am Rhein?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
luthienbabe
luthienbabe
28 posts
Jan 17, 2017 - 9:43 AM

Hi,

Me and my family will be going to Switzerland on April 6-17. I was wondering if anyone knows a town/city/village similar to Stein am Rhein? By similar I mean buildings with lots of frescoes, murals, etc?

Thanks!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4486 posts
expert
Jan 17, 2017 - 11:45 PM in reply to luthienbabe

Hi luthienbabe-

<<"I was wondering if anyone knows a town/city/village similar to Steim am Rhein? By similar I mean buildings with lots of frescoes, murals, etc?">>

"Stein" not "Steim" That meas "stone" in German.

Though not as impressive (excessive?) or concentrated, the old town in Luzern has a fair number. There also a few in Schwyz.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
10344 posts
expert &
Jan 18, 2017 - 6:44 AM

Hello luthienbabe,

The towns in the Lower and Upper Engadine like Zuoz are not similar to Stein am Rhein, very different actually, but well known for their houses with frescoes.

luthienbabe
luthienbabe
28 posts
Jan 18, 2017 - 6:53 AM in reply to Arno

Thank you Arno and Slowpoke for the suggestions. And Slowpoke for the correction as well.

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
176 posts
Jan 18, 2017 - 10:31 AM

Hi,

Konstanz, which is just up the Rhine from Stein am Rhine, has a pretty town centre with buildings decorated in the Luftmalerei style. It's right on the Swiss border on Lake Konstanz. Across the lake is the town of Meersburg, which is also very quaint, although on the German side of the lake.

Decorating a building with Luftmalerei is more of a German custom than Swiss, but there are many fine individual examples all over Switzerland

maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
551 posts
top member
Jan 19, 2017 - 5:29 PM

Hi there

I agree with Arno about the houses in the Engadine area which have a very distinctive style - we liked the ones in Scuol very much.

But if that area is too far from your base, I have another suggestion. We did a day trip last summer to Appenzell especially to look at the house decoration there and I have attached 3 pictures for you.

Best wishes

Maggie

Please login to see the attached documents

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018