Stop for a hike between Luzern and Wengen

• DorothySwitz
    Participant
    12 posts
    15 August 2022 at 16:54:00 #828094

My husband and I are staying in Luzern tonight and tomorrow we transfer to Wengen. The weather will be nice so I was thinking of stopping off for a nice hike, maybe at Rigi or Pilatus on the way. We have all our (carry on) luggage and would need to store it during our excursion. Can you suggest a route for us tomorrow? We have been to Switzerland several times and are comfortable with all train, bus, and cable car excursions. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 August 2022 at 19:03:24 #945660

Hi DorothySwitz,

Rigi or Pilatus are not exactly on the way between Lucerne and Wengen. For a quick stop enroute, my personal choice would be Brienz. In Brienz you can can store your luggage at the station. Walk to boat landing stage and take a quick boat ride to Giessbach, then hike along the lake to Iseltwald, then take the boat back to Brienz to pick up your luggage. Then continue back on the train to Wengen. Details about the hike here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/giessbach-iseltwald

You can use the SBB timetable to check train schedules and plan your trip.

I hope this gives you some ideas to add to your trip.

DorothySwitz
    Participant
    12 posts
    15 August 2022 at 19:15:58 #945661

Thanks Anna. We’ve been to Brienz and Giessbach recently so we decided we will get up early and use lockers at Luzern train station. Then we will head up to Rigi for a few hours. It will be a lot of time on trains but we haven’t been to Rigi for a while so we hope it will be a fun day. Appreciate your reply!

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 August 2022 at 19:24:51 #945662

Hi DorothySwitz,

Sounds like a good plan. Rigi is great option with lots of trails. Enjoy your trip!

regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Stop for a hike between Luzern and Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.