Swiss Travel Pass – 1st vs. 2nd class

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 17:57:52 #815610

What is the advantage of a First Class Swiss Travel Pass over a Second Class? Also, if buying a STP, is it necessary to reserve a seat or can you just get on the train, Lake Lucern boat, cogwheel, etc?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2018 at 20:59:42 #883590

The 1st Class STP allows you to ride free in 1st Class. I found 2nd class perfectly acceptable. There is no 1st Class in cable cars, cog-wheels or buses so you pay extra for 1st Class STP for no benefit.

If you have a 2nd Class Pass and want to travel in 1st you can just buy a Class upgrade for that trip. e.g. to gain access to upper deck in Lake Lucerne steamer.

Reservations are not necessary with STP or any other form of Pass or ticket in Switzerland. The only exceptions are the major Panoramic trains (Glacier, Bernina and Gotthard Panorama) where reservations are compulsory.

Make sure you understand the validity map downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

For all the mountain excursions show your Pass at the base ticket station to get a free or discounted ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 5:06:35 #883591

I have travelled first and second class. First class is way better, especially in high season. The sheer volume of tourists make the trains really crowded. With luggage, multiple families and food spread out all over I have had to sit on my luggage in the vestibule or stand. I purchased a first class ticket from Interlaken to Munich and it was Devine. Actual China dishes for meals, beverage service multiple times and the steward comes through often to see if you need anything. Plus it is much quieter and peaceful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 6:08:55 #883592

Hi Sando,

Mostly, the advantage is a quieter train carriage (less people) and more room for your luggage if you have a lot! Read more about 1st class vs. 2nd class here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 23:16:12 #883593

Thank you. You’ve set my mind at ease.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 23:41:50 #883594

Thank you for including the link. It was very helpful.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – 1st vs. 2nd class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.