Stuttgart-Interlaken-Frankfurt over 3 days

• noopur2507
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 October 2017 at 16:20:43 #813442

Hi, I need some help in planning my trip to Interlaken for a day. I am a girl traveling alone and will appreciate your suggestions for my itinerary.

I can leave from Stuttgart, Germany on 26th Oct evening and I need to reach Frankfurt by 28th Oct evening. So I have a full day on 27th Oct for sightseeing and I am mainly interested in visiting natural places in Interlaken.

I have these questions:

– Should I look for a hotel in Interlaken for the two nights stay? Or staying in a city like Basel would be preferable? I need to consider the travel convenience from Stuttgart and then to Frankfurt as I will have some luggage. I would prefer to travel by train.

– Suggestions on some nice budget-friendly hotels.

– Itinerary for places to visit in Interlaken.

– information on where to get all the tickets.

Thanks in advance for any help! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 16:40:42 #870658

Hi noopur2507 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

This is a bit of an awkward itinerary I must say. Stuttgart to Interlaken is about 5 hours by train; and then another 6 hours back to Frankfurt. Any reason why Interlaken is the place you want to go? 🙂

You can use the Swiss Railways timetable to give you your connection options on Oct.26 and 28.

For things to do and where to stay please visit our Interlaken page here. You may be more interested in smaller Swiss village Lauterbrunnen (that isn’t too far from Interlaken) though.

For point to point tickets between Switzerland and Germany click here. Once in Switzerland your easiest option is to buy point to point tickets when there. I don’t think a rail pass will be of much use on such a short trip.

noopur2507
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 October 2017 at 19:40:06 #870659

Thanks for your reply, Lucas.

> Any reason why Interlaken is the place you want to go?

I want to visit a place that’s close to nature. I guess the whole of Switzerland comes in that category. But I found the places in and around Interlaken to be the most beautiful in pictures.

Your suggestion of Lauterbrunnen sounds great. I am also open to other suggestions from you which can reduce my travel time from/to Germany.

I have already visited Titlis, Zurich, and Lucerne earlier. So any other place which is comparatively closer to Stuttgart and Frankfurt where I can stay and look around would be great.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 October 2017 at 21:46:37 #870660

Hi Noopur2507 –

I was going to suggest Luzern, but note that you have already been there.

There is a lot to see nearby; have you seen it all?

Please note that many of the beautiful pictures you mention are more likely to have been of places around or not far from Interlaken than of Interlaken itself. Interlaken itself is a great travel hub, but is not really in the midst of the best scenery.

The villages such a Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are good ideas, but do involve still more train travel. They are both charming and put you in the middle of the splendid scenery. Or, you might like to use Interlaken as your base for a two night stay, because you can conveniently visit locations both in the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Jungfrau region, as well as lake side towns such as Thun or Brienz. If you stay in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen, which are much closer to the scenic beauty of the Alps, and decide that the weather is obscuring your views of nature, it will be a longer trip back out of the valley to Interlaken, before you can proceed further.

Please note that much of the auxiliary transport such as cableways and mountain excursions shut down for Winter on approximately October 22. The cograil train to Jungfraujoch will still be running, as will the services to Schilthorn. With clear weather, each of those can provide splendid views.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Stuttgart-Interlaken-Frankfurt over 3 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.