• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2012 at 3:00:49 #805009

Hi,

kindly help me in finalising my iternary below:

Coming to Switzerland from Amsterdam on 05/05/2012
    Have to reach Venice on 09/05/2012
    Day 1 – 0630 Arrive in Basel (from Amsterdam)
    – Rhine Falls
    – Travel to Geneva
    – UN & other attractions in Geneva
    – Travel to Montreux n night stay
    Day 2
    – Chateau De Chillon, Montreux
    – City tour in Montreux (if time permits else can skip it? pls advise)
    – Glacier 3000 (is it a must do?)
    – Matterhorn in Zermett (if time permits. pls advise)
    – Glacier express (from Zermett to either Brig or andermatt)..pls advice which one should be better n most exciting.
    – Travel to Interlaken & night stay (or staying in Laturbrunen would be better as I have seen lots of ppl in trip advisor have suggested LB then Interlaken?)
    Day 3
    – Jungfraujoch
    – Side seeing in Interlaken/Laterbrunen
    – Travel to Lucerne
    – Chapel bridge in Lucerne & night stay
    Day 4
    – Mt Titlis
    – Lucerne sight seeing & night stay
    Day 5
    – Lucerne Lake cruise on the way to Zurich (or can skip Zurich so that can take some scenic train till Milan n then faster train to Venice?)
    – Take a day train from Zurich to Venice enjoying the scenic route
    Kindly advise the following:
    1) Does this plan sound good?am I missing anything here? Or is it too hectic? pls advise some alteration to make it relaxing if you feel so….
    2) Is it advisable to take a swiss pass? it should be a 4 day pass or 3 days flexi pass? As I am travelling in Glacier express n one full day for Jungfrough…should I take swiss pass at all?
    3) Is it advisable to take both Glacier & Bernia express? or either one of them would do? Glacier express mein which route is most exciting?
    4) Any other places that I can fit in my above iternary?
    5) should I stay at any 1 place for all 4 days or it should be in different places as per above?

Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 March 2012 at 6:19:27 #835136

Hi bikashisonline,

Your itinerary is too hectic and some days (especially day 2) are just not possible. I would recommend to use this map and this timetable to see where everything is located and check traveling times. Please also keep in mind that the weather needs to be (at least a bit) clear to visit mountain tops. So some spare time or alternative plans would be good in such a case.

The Glacier Express and Bernina Express are both great, but as you have 5 days only, I suggest to pick the one that fits best in your itinerary. It’s not a must to do both. In either case, the 2-for-1 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be the best choice. That leaves you with one day of non-free traveling (just discounts), which could be your day 4 as that’s a relatively short trip.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2012 at 2:45:21 #835137

As per your suggestion, I have made some changes to my iternary as follows:
    – Rhine Falls
    – Travel to Geneva (2 hr 45 m)
    – Train from Geneva to Laussane (45 m)
    – Boat ride from Laussane to Montreux (will it be feasible & exciting?) (1 hr)
    – Night stay in Montreux
    Day 2
    – Chateau De Chillon, Montreux (if time permits)
    – Travel to Gstaad (1hr 30 m)
    – Glacier 3000 in Gstaad
    – Travel to Interlaken (2 hr)
    – Interlaken sight seeing & night stay
    Day 3
    – Jungfraujoch
    – Trummelbach Falls
    – Travel to Lucerne
    Day 4
    – Mt Titlis
    Day 5
    – Lucerne Lake cruise
    – Travel to Andermatt
    – Glacier express (from Andermatt to Chur/St Moritz)
    – From there, train to Venice

1) Pls advise if this one looks good or its still hectic? pls advise some alteration to make it relaxing if you feel so.
    2) As I will have to take 4 days flexi saver pass, which one of these 5 days I should consider
    3) Will I get a suitable train from St. Moritz/Chur to Venice in the afternoon/evening?

Many thanks.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 March 2012 at 3:54:50 #835138

Hello bikashisonline. In my optinion, that’s still too hectic on some days (especially 1, 2 and 5). Did you consult the timetable and map as Arno suggested? You should look into the exact locations of each destination. For example: Glacier 3000 isn’t in Gstaad, but requires an additional bus ride of about half an hour from there. Such details do have a serious impact on your itinerary. I would suggest to skip some attractions for a more relaxed travel schedule.

As for using your Swiss Flexi Pass: you can best use free travel days for day 1, day 2, day 3 and day 5, and profit from the 50% discount on day 4.

International trains, such as Chur/St. Moritz-Venice, can be found in the timetable as well. It’s a long trip, and if you want to leave in the afternoon or evening you may need to use night trains leaving from Innsbruck.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2012 at 5:00:02 #835139

Thanks a lot for your suggestion Arno. Its really helping me in fine tunning my iternary.

As per your suggestion, I have made some changes to my iternary as follows:
    – Rhine Falls
    – Travel to Geneva (2 hr 45 m)
    – Train from Geneva to Vevey (1 hr)
    – Boat ride from Vevey to Montreux (45 m)
    – Night stay in Montreux
    Day 2
    – Travel to Gstaad (1hr 30 m)
    – Glacier 3000 in Gstaad
    – Travel to Interlaken (2 hr)
    – Interlaken sight seeing & night stay
    Day 3
    – Jungfraujoch
    – Trummelbach Falls
    – Travel to Lucerne
    Day 4
    – Mt Titlis
    Day 5
    – Travel to Andermatt
    – Glacier express (from Andermatt to Chur/St Moritz)
    – From there, train to Venice

1) Pls advise if this one looks good or its still hectic?

Many thanks.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 March 2012 at 13:05:55 #835140

Hello bikashis! Whether your changes are enough for a doable itinerary, is up to you. It would still be too much in my opinion, but if you want to cover as much as possible in your itinerary, that’s fine of course! Just consult the timetable and maps and decide for yourself whether the traveling times are acceptable to you.

• The thread ‘Suggestion required for 5 days Swiss trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.