Suggestions to improve MySwissAlps.com

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 22:44:36 #881610

Hi Arno,

I really think you need a link to a separate Saver Day Pass page here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses.

It surely makes the 1-day Travel Pass totally redundant.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 April 2018 at 20:15:14 #881611

Hi Arno,

For completeness how about adding Centovalli Express, Regio-Express Lötschberger and Voralpen Express trains to this page http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain?

Also add downloadable SBB map of scenic train routes at top of page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 20:43:01 #881612

I agree. I think this is a great suggestion to be able save posts that you are interested in. On trip advisor they have “Saved Posts” and it is very helpful. Sometimes I copy a link here and then it disappears or is unavailable.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:27:55 #881613

Hi Arno,

Not a suggestion for the site per se but could we have a consolidated list of all enhancements and bug fixes in the pipeline which we can check before making suggestions. Save re-inventing the wheel. Maybe a PDF somewhere that you updated from time to time?

Arno
    15485 posts
    12 April 2018 at 6:49:46 #881614

Hi everyone,

Saver Day Pass is noted, as well as adding pages for all scenic trains. The Voralpen Express is actually planned for the near future. The Lötschberger and Centovalli will come too, but probably later.

Saving posts is an interesting idea. If we ever implement this it would be a feature that works on the entire website, not just in the forum. After all MySwissAlps is a website with a forum, not just a forum. It would be a nice feature, but also quite a lot of work. I’ve added it to our wish list. For now, it is good to know that:

• If you click a user’s name in the forum, or if you click to your public profile in your account, you’ll get a list of all threads you or that particular user ever posted in. Except for moderators as they post almost everywhere.
    • Apart from spam or duplicate posts, we never remove anything. If you can’t find a post, use the search box in the top of the site.

Sharing the pipeline is unfortunately not possible. The list is for internal use (i.e. not very pretty reading material) and changes frequently. At the moment it changes multiple times per day. Also I must admit that plans and wishes in hindsight never match up with reality. Things do not get implemented after all, or later, or in a different way. Sharing your thoughts here is useful nevertheless. Even if an idea is already on the list, it helps to know it is not just our guess that a feature would be needed. Again: the list is much longer than what we ever will be able to implemented. I guess we’re unrealistically eager to improve things 🙂

A next update is planned probably for tomorrow morning (CET timezone). So the site or some of its features will be unavailable for a while. I will post here when it’s done. It might be interesting to know that this update alone took months of work. But it’s a lot of back-end stuff you won’t directly notice. Just keeping the site running is an objective too!

Thanks everyone!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 6:58:00 #881615

Great, thanks Arno.

I like the term “pipeline” and completely understand how ugly such lists can be. 🤓

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    12 April 2018 at 15:54:18 #881616

A feature I like and use on other sites is a “jump to last reply” button at the top of the thread. Or the ability to sort by most recent or oldest, again at top of thread. Helpful if you are following a long thread.

Arno
    15485 posts
    12 April 2018 at 16:52:08 #881617

Thank you Kperigo, I can see how that would be handy.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 21:02:01 #881618

Hi Arno,

We have discussed including link to “last post” in email notifications.

Also would be good if “last” link at bottom of page took you to last post rather than last page. Just like “last post” does from forum index.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 April 2018 at 9:58:26 #881619

Hi Arno,

My very first post done on an iPad without going crazy. I had worked out a technique but it was pretty convoluted, Thankyou for answering my prayers.

And the link adder works a treat too. Bless you.

rockoyster

Arno
    15485 posts
    13 April 2018 at 10:09:28 #881620

Hi all,

As of today you can log into MySwissAlps with your e-mail address instead of your username. Your username will still work though, but you will no longer see it in your account. New users will not get a username.

You can post forum messages again on iOS (I’m writing this on an iPad).

Top and Expert members can select any word in their post and click the new link button to turn that word into a clickable link.

Your number of posts as shown by the site may have slightly decreased because the number used to include deleted posts and now it does not.

The search box has changed but we are still working on it. It should now show search results as you type. If it does’nt it might be in maintenance mode. Then just enter a keyword and hit enter.

Arno
    15485 posts
    13 April 2018 at 10:11:51 #881621

Thanks Rockoyster, I’m glad you’re happy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 23:49:26 #881622

Hi Arno

Bit disappointed to have lost about 50 posts from my total! Thankfully hasn’t demoted my status from top member! I guess the longer you have been using the site the more likely posts will have been deleted – I presume from closed user accounts?

I had another idea to put to you. When threads get long enough to run to a number of pages, you have scroll all the way down the first page to click on the page you last viewed or think you viewed! It can take a while to find where you last got to in a thread even if it was only the day before! Is it possible to put clickable page numbers at the top of a thread as well as at the bottom? No idea how complicated that would be to achieve sorry! Just an idea!

Maggie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 April 2018 at 0:39:49 #881623

Good idea Maggie. I have also lodged an enhancement request such that when you get an email notification for a thread that you are subscribed to that the link in the email takes you to the lastest post on the thread rather than the start of the thread.

Maybe as well as page links top on bottom on the forum thread there could also be a “Latest Post” link as well. Should be a piece of cake for a lad of Arno’s talents.

Glad you didn’t get demoted. 😎

Arno
    15485 posts
    15 April 2018 at 15:09:43 #881624

Hi Maggie,

We normally only delete posts in very rare situations, so 50 seems like a lot. Perhaps there were other reasons the previous count was not very accurate. Now it’s better anyway, and of course you’re still a Top Member 🙂

I would like the page numbers at the top. I made a quick effort last week actually, but it was more complicated than I hoped it would be. Rockoyster overestimates my talents just a bit I guess 🙂 But I will add it to my list.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 April 2018 at 19:23:51 #881625

Hello Arno,

I see that “Insert Link” has been added to the menu. That’s wonderful ! I haven’t had an opportunity to insert a link into a post yet (I am on the road and so have much less free time) but I will !

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 April 2018 at 19:36:17 #881626

Hi Maggie,

I hadn’t been keeping track of my points so I have no idea whether my total went up, down, or stayed the same. As long as we keep our “top member” status, that’s all that really matters in my mind, as then we have access to editing features not available to lesser mortals.

As for getting to the last post on a thread, as soon as I get into one, I immediately scroll to the bottom, and if I see another number, like 2 or 3 or whatever, I just click on the higher(est) number and then scroll to the bottom of whatever page it is. Once you make that routine, it’s really pretty quick and painless.

Arno
    15485 posts
    15 April 2018 at 20:24:13 #881627

I’m glad you like it Peterli. Indeed don’t “link and drive” 🙂 Happy linking!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 22:48:06 #881628

Hello Arno,

Might you add Rhine River cruises between Schaffhausen and Kreuzlingen and cruises on Bodensee to this page ?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 April 2018 at 2:13:02 #881629

If we are on the topic of boat and river cruises, I should add that there are also such things over on the three lakes of Neuchâtel, Morat, and Bienne. One can find a map, schedules, and more information at http://www.navig.ch/ These lakes are also known as Neuenburgersee, Murtensee, and Bielersee.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • The thread ‘Suggestions to improve MySwissAlps.com’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11230 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.