Summer vacation in Saas-Fee

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2015 at 13:40:29 #807929

Hi everyone!

First of all I want to thank the people who helped me plan my trip in these forums, especially (Arno, Slowpoke, and Walter), really, if it weren’t for the great tips and advice I got here, I would have been discouraged from taking this vacation.

Firstly, my budget was tight, and I doubted that I could go to Switzerland, but when I asked in the forum I was encouraged and was given great tips.

I stayed for ten days in one place (Saas-Fee). most people would say that ten days is too long for Saas-Fee, but in my circumstances and for what I was looking for it was perfect. I have 3 children, we come from a very hot country, so we were looking for a cool and beautiful place, so Saas-Fee being a cool location was perfect for us. temperature didn’t exceed 16 degrees while we were there.. the views were breathtaking really, and there are many things to do there.

Of course hiking was our main thing. we would go up with the cable cars and hike down or just find a hiking path in the woods and walk. the kids rented bikes and had fun with them. there is the forest exploring adventure for kids and adults that is really interesting.. (I think its called rope park). and also the little roller coaster in the woods. we also went up to the place where there is snow in the summer (Felskinn) and spent the day there. you don’t have to ski, just snow tubing and sitting in the revolving restaurant is enough fun.

The other nice thing is that the other Saas valley villages are easily accessable by buses that go back and forth all through the day. so when we felt like we’ve done almost everything there is to do in Saas-Fee, we spent a day in each of the other villages.

It saved us a lot of money staying in one place the whole time.. we ate from the supermarket and found a reasonable hotel, especially that we didn’t apend anything on transportation because its a car free village and all the buses and cable cars are included in the pass we got from the hotel.
    so in general it was a good choice for the kids, and beautiful weather, and also economic.

Best wishes to you all…

Maryam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2015 at 14:35:52 #846103

Hello Maryam

I am so pleased that you and the children enjoyed your trip to Switzerland and it was good to read your report. Indeed Switzerland has a reputation for being expensive but if you plan carefully as you did it is possible to do things within a tight budget. Transport is expensive without any kind of pass but it sounds as though you did well with the pass supplied by your hotel and you can save money on food as you did,

It sounds as though the children had fun too and you found lots of interesting experiences for them.

We often wish we had “discovered” Switzerland earlier than we did as we are no longer fit enough (in our seventies now!) to undertake the longer / more difficult hikes but enjoy the easier ones still. We have visited every year since 2001 and there are still lots of new places and things for us to enjoy every year. You may well find yourself compelled to return too!

Best wishes

Maggie

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 September 2015 at 15:03:44 #846104

Thanks for your trip report Maryam! I’m glad to read it all worked out so well for you. Saas-Fee is indeed a wonderful family friendly place. Which hotel did you end up booking?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 September 2015 at 0:43:09 #846105

<<” Hi everyone!
    Firstof all I want to thank the people who helped me plan my trip in theseforums, especially (Arno, Slowpoke, and Walter), really, if it weren’tfor the great tips and advice I got here, I would have been discouragedfrom taking this vacation.”>>

Maryam –

Glad we could help. I learned a lot from your process of finding an economical place, using the Swiss systems to maximum advantage. Walter’s replies to your concerns were particularly educational for me.

So, I have to thank you as well.

Is there anything that you might have done differently, by hindsight?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Summer vacation in Saas-Fee’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.