Sunrise hike at Grosser Mythen

• Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    11 January 2017 at 0:35:46 #810548

Hello experts!

I’ve seen some Instagram images and posts about a sunrise hike to Grosser Mythen and how its one of those unforgettable experiences (I’m sure mostly anything sunrise in Switzerland is unforgettable).

My question, is it wise to do for a solo traveler? Sunrise is very early in May (5:48am). How safe is it hiking in the dark? I will be based in Luzern and would take the available midnight train to Schwyz and hike from there. The hike looks to take around 4 hours so timing will be just right. Any input or past experiences would be much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 January 2017 at 11:28:50 #857940

Hi Balan214,

Indeed a sunrise in the Alps is always wonderful as long as the weather cooperates. I don’t know the hike to the Grosser Mythen, but I do know it is fairly easy to get there by cable car. It departs from Brunni and arrives at Holzegg half way up the mountain. So basically there is no need to hike all the way from Schwyz, although the cable car won’t operate that early in the morning. You could contact them to ask if there are any options besides their normal schedule: http://www.brunnialpthal.ch/S eilbahnHolzegg.aspx.

Hiking alone in the dark in mountainous unknown territory is very dangerous. I strongly recommend not to go that route.

Here’s two maps of the area that might be useful:

I hope this helps!

Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    12 January 2017 at 21:33:04 #857941

Thank you Arno, I will look into other routes and see if getting to Holzegg is possible, a 50 min hike would be better than a 4 hour hike! I found it odd that there is a connection from luzern to schwyz at that time in the morning (00:32 to 1:10) but no other for hours afterwards. almost as if that connection is specifically for those looking to make the sunrise excursion as times would line up almost perfectly with sunrise. As for the hike itself, I too was thinking it could very well be risky going up a mountain in the dark even when prepared with lights, etc. However I started to think…..anyone looking to make the sunrise deadline would obviously have to go up in the dark and this hike seems to be very popular for that purpose. I was certainly shocked on how the path is all the way up, said to be somewhat challenging physically and is very narrow and at times uneven but is also said to be secure and marked well. I will keep doing some homework on it and see if its doable! thanks again.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 January 2017 at 19:17:48 #857942

You’re welcome! I’m sure there are people doing the walk in the dark, but locals in a group is less risky than someone on his own who is unfamiliar there. I’m not sure if there are guided tours up there. If you are going for it, I’d recommend to start walking from Brunni (to be reached by bus). That’s much closer than the train station of Schwyz. Also you could end your walk a bit past Holzegg, before the real mountain trail begins, which is the riskiest part. I’m sure the view is very nice from there as well.

Alternatives are to book a hut or hotel in the Alps, so you can spend the night and safely enjoy the sunrise at altitude. Here are some suggestions: myswissalps.com/ hotels/mountaintops.

If you can, please let us know how your trip went. Should this thread be closed by then, you can post in the Trip reports forum.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Sunrise hike at Grosser Mythen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.