Sunrise in the Swiss Alps near Lucerne or Wengen

• Manuj
    Participant
    12 posts
    20 July 2022 at 22:03:30 #827830

Hello,

We’re traveling to Switzerland in mid-September, staying for 6 days in Lucerne and Wengen. I really wanted to do the Matterhorn Sunrise Tour (http://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Discover/Top-To-dos/Sunrise-Stellisee) but if I plan to travel to Zermatt, I’ll need to cut some things out of Lucerne/Wengen itinerary. Is there opportunity in Lucerne/Wengen area to experience a sunrise similar to the one at Matterhorn, perhaps with mountain reflecting in the lake?

Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2022 at 3:42:20 #944570

Hi Manuj,

You might find this one useful: jungfrauregion.swiss/en/summer/planning-and-events/social-media/towards-the-sun/

For the sunset I can recommend Harder Kulm: http://www.myswissalps.com/harderkulm

I am not aware of any specific, organized sunrise expereince in the Jungfrau region, like you’ve shared in the Zermatt region. Maybe this one, but it is with a bike: grindelwald.swiss/en/summer/product/event/e-bike-enjoyment-tour/.

More hotels on mountain tops can be found here: https://www.myswissalps.com/hotels/mountaintops.

Ildiko

Manuj
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 July 2022 at 22:35:35 #944571

Thanks Ildiko, this is really helpful.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    23 July 2022 at 13:09:41 #944572

Hi Manuj,

When in Lucerne, I spent one night in the hotel on top of Mount Pilatus. (Pilatus Kulm…..also in September.) I spent two nights in Lucerne on the ground, and the third on the mountain. I was up at 0630, and saw a spectacular sunrise over the lake. At first just silhouettes of the different parts/shapes of the lake and mountains will come into view, and then more and more will come into view with the the sun rising higher and higher. Simply stunning. Not sure how many people in your party, but definitely worth considering. The price of the hotel includes a welcoming cocktail, some light munchies, (including fresh gruyere cheese from the cows in and around the mountain) just around the time of the sun setting, (after the general public all make their descent) , a four course dinner, breakfast the following morning, and the ascent/descent tickets. All told, very well worth the price. It was one of the best 24-hour periods of my life. When I did it, I left my big bag of luggage in a locker at the train station, jumped on the train, and just took my nap-sack up, allowing me to do some further hiking after both breakfast and checking out in the morning, without the burden of toting the luggage around.

While Zermatt and the Matterhorn are absolutely beautiful, it may he tough to squeeze it in, in just the six days you are planning, as there are tons of things to do/see in and around both Wengen and Lucerne.

I hope this may help in some way, or give you something to think over. Happy trails and have a great trip wherever you decide to go.

Danielsan

Manuj
    Participant
    12 posts
    23 July 2022 at 20:17:35 #944573

Thanks Danielsan for sharing such an amazing experience. I looked at Pilatus Kulm earlier, but was put off by the hotel cost. Given your feedback, I’m very tempted to spend one night here.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    24 July 2022 at 3:23:54 #944574

Hi Manuj,

Your welcome, perhaps this will help with your decision making….

There is another hotel up there as well, called the Bellevue, which may be less expensive, but I don’t know for sure. You can inquire, and compare notes on that.

Attached is a photo of the view I was explaining. The photo is not one of mine (I have lost half of my trip pics, and Pilatus was among those lost). But the view in this pic is fairly identical to those I had.Again, have fun planning and going.

Danielsan

Manuj
    Participant
    12 posts
    24 July 2022 at 6:17:04 #944575

Wow, amazing view! I decided to take the plunge and booked Pilatus Klum. Bellevue was not available on the dates I’m traveling. Unfortunate about you losing your photos.

• The thread ‘Sunrise in the Swiss Alps near Lucerne or Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.