How long will Sunrise Mobile SIM remain active

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 11:07:49 #824380

I have two Sunrise Mobile SIMs that we had been using while visiting Switzerland the past few years for our annual ski trip. We just do the 2.50 per day for unlimited data and it works great. Right now one card has 0.08 and the other 3.20 in credit available.

Does anybody know when these cards expire / deactivate if not used? I thought I read six months but the card with 0.08 hasn’t been used in over a year and still shows up in the Sunrise Mobile app. I used the other card in July during a short visit so that was active within the past six months.

If they do expire how do you keep them active if you aren’t planning on being in Switzerland anytime soon? We aren’t going there this winter and the only possible trip is August 2020 to Geneva then onto Chamonix for a few days.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2019 at 7:27:23 #924686

Hi BillO,

as far as I know, if a prepaid mobile connection remains unused for 12 months, Sunrise is entitled to block the connection without notice. You should use it to keep it active and not to lose it.

In case it happens, I suggest to use the Travellers Wifi (http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard) instead of getting a new SIM card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2019 at 11:01:21 #924687

Any suggestions on how to do that while in the US? I suppose I can just pop it into my phone and turn and see what happens. I can try receiving a text message to the Swiss SIM just to see….worst case is I lose 8 cents.

Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    6 November 2019 at 14:26:41 #924688

In the US, I pop in the Sunrise sim card usually every 6 months to be sure and i send a text to my spouse. Yes, you’ll be charged for the text, but i make sure i keep it active. I also make sure I have enough money on the card to do this while I’m out of Switzerland.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 November 2019 at 10:01:55 #924689

Why not just get a new SIM next time you visit?

Salt is cheaper at CHF1.99/day but less generous on calls/sms.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2019 at 11:07:47 #924690

Good point, but primarily convenience. We usually land and go straight to the train and out to the country. I don’t like hunting down SIMs…can you get them at ZRH or GVA?

Still confused why the SIM I haven’t touched in over a year still appears to be active.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 November 2019 at 20:06:42 #924691

There’s a Salt shop at ZRH. Not sure about GVA.

I had a feeling 18 months was the expiry time but I wonder if a SIM expires at all as long as you have credit on it? Email Sunrise.

• The thread ‘How long will Sunrise Mobile SIM remain active’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.