Swiss Air Force Drills over Lake Neuchâtel

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    3 March 2020 at 8:49:02 #825396

The relative calm over Lake Neuchâtel will be disturbed at times over the next two months since the air force will be carrying out air-to-ground (water) fire from March 3 to 13 and also from April 21 to 30. The targeting (the firing range) will be in the vicinity of Forel (canton de Fribourg) on the south shore of the lake, which is fairly close to the air base in Payerne. The base is about 5 kilometres from the edge of the lake, so at the speeds they fly, only a minute or so away.

As part of these exercises, various flights of F-5 Tiger and F/A-18 Hornets are planned and could cause sudden noise, says the Federal Department of Defense. The flights can take place from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. The noise will be heard beyond Forel as the flights maneuver over as far as the north shore of the lake as they effect their runs. Attached is a military pilot’s map of the area.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2020 at 9:13:45 #931076

Hello Peterli,

Thanks for sharing this interesting information with the forum members. I’m sure some aviation fan will profit from it and enjoy the “loud” drills carried out in the area.

Best,
    Steph

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    3 March 2020 at 15:20:25 #931077

Wish it were happening while we are there. I love watching aircraft training!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2020 at 0:54:08 #931078

I saw soem training flights over Lac Neuchatel by chance a few years ago and it was quite something to watch.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 March 2020 at 2:13:34 #931079

If there are any military aviation fans reading this thread, they might be interested in a visit to Clin d’Ailes, the Swiss Military Aviation Museum in Payerne. On the attached map, it’s location is indicated by the yellow arrow near the bottom.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2020 at 6:13:15 #931080

Hi Peterli,

we missed the Military Aviation Museum sofar, thank you for the recommendation. My sons will appreciate it 🙂

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Swiss Air Force Drills over Lake Neuchâtel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.