Itinerary advice Swiss Alps to Vienna

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 21:00:02 #813776

Hello! My partner and I will arrive in Paris on 24 December (around 10:30am), and wish to spend Christmas Eve in Switzerland and Christmas Day traveling through the Swiss Alps on our way to Vienna. The questions become, in no particular order:

(1) where in Switzerland should we spend Christmas Eve given that we want to be close to trains that travel through the Alps (such as the Glacier Express, Golden Pass, and regular trains);

(2) which of the Glacier Express, Golden Pass, and regular trains will be operational and the best deal in terms of cost and site-seeing; and

(3) which will be the best route given that we want to carry on to Vienna (probably through Salzburg)? We will take a train or flight from Paris to whichever Swiss time we decide to spend Christmas Eve in. Thank you so much for your recommendations!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 December 2017 at 21:44:24 #872607

Hello nyexpressny and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Right off the top of the head I would say get a connecting flight Paris to Geneva then train to Zermatt (http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt)and enjoy Christmas Eve alongside the Matterhorn. Then take Glacier Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) to Chur. Then on to Vienna. Use the Swiss Railways timetable to figure out travel times (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable).

But then I have no idea how long you are allowing yourself to get from Switzerland to Vienna. At this late stage you may have problems with accommodation in Zermatt and reservations on Glacier Express.

Sounds like fun. I’m sure you’ll get some other suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 21:49:04 #872608

Thank you very much for these suggestions! We would like to get to Vienna on the 25th, but we are open to stopping and spending the night someplace en route.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 December 2017 at 21:58:20 #872609

Assuming you got on Glacier Express you could continue on from Chur to Zurich and maybe get a flight that night to Vienna. Otherwise overnight there and train/fly to Vienna on Boxing Day.

Zermatt to Vienna by train on one day is a bit of a stretch I’d think.

If Glacier Express is booked out you can follow same route on regular trains. Just no panorama windows, commentary, lunch served at your seat etc.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 December 2017 at 6:14:27 #872610

Zermatt to Vienna is a long trip indeed. But mostly through the Alps and superb scenery! Certainly no “wasted” travel day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 December 2017 at 1:04:42 #872611

Hi nyexpressny

Sounds like you want to do it all in a “New York Minute.”

The advice you have gotten is sound, but it will be difficult to accomplish it all in the time you have defined.

Arrive Paris on the 24th,and be in Vienna the 25th? Why bother with Switzerland?

At least, keep your eyes open as you pass through, in case you are jet lagged and tend to fall asleep.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice Swiss Alps to Vienna’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.