Swiss card- travel to Germany from Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2013 at 5:48:16 #806057

We plan to fly into Zurich in Sep, purchase Swiss Cards which I understand provide free travel for our inwards leg to Wengen.
    We then depart Wengen some 5 days later and travel to Wurzburg in Germany via Frankfurt.
    Our exit point from Switzerland is Basel, which I understand is free under the terms of the Card.

Our changeover time in Basel is only seven minutes from IC962 to ICE 74
    What are the logistics to purchasing the ongoing point to point Basel Wurzburg?
    Can I do that in Switzerland?
    Are reservations required?

Your guidance will be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 June 2013 at 8:10:48 #838907

Hello Ecca43,

The train from Basel to Germany most probably requires seat reservations. If not, I would recommend it. You can purchase the tickets in Switzerland, but it’s better to get such tickets in advance (up to 2-3 months prior to your trip). That increases the chance you’ll be able to get them, and get the desired seats if applicable. You can find tickets here. In most cases you can purchase along your Swiss Cards from the same website as well. If you let me know your country of residence I’ll point you to the right website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2013 at 8:13:09 #838908

Australia

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 June 2013 at 8:47:46 #838909

In that case you can get everything from your local Rail Europe website: this page for the ICE tickets + seat reservations, and this page for the Swiss Cards.

Alternatively there’s the world wide Rail Europe site which may work out slightly cheaper: this page for the tickets and this page for the cards.

The tickets can be booked from 2 months prior of traveling.

Enjoy the trip!

• The thread ‘Swiss card- travel to Germany from Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.