Swiss First Time Visitor 9D8N, where best to go?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2012 at 8:56:57 #805013

Hi!

We are planning to go straight from Zurich Airport to either Interlaken (1st choice) or Lauterbrunnen (2nd choice), depending on the accommodation availability and have our base there from which we would go to the following places:

1. Titlis

2. Lucerne

3. Bern

4. Zermatt

And then leave the base to go to Chur and St Moritz before going straight to Zurich for home.

What do you guys think? Good for first time?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 March 2012 at 8:45:00 #835144

Hi honeymoon, and welcome! Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen as a base are be great. You can make a day trip to Lucerne and Titlis, but please note that there are lots of viewing points and other attractions much closer to Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen, requiring less traveling time. A day trip to Zermatt is doable, but you should leave early. Please consult the timetable for details on each connection.

You could also choose to travel to Chur/St. Moritz by Glacier Express, thus leaving from Zermatt instead of from Interlaken.

Hotels can be found in the hotel overview. You may be inerested in this rail pass overview too, since you plan to make some long and expensive trips.

Does that get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2012 at 10:42:55 #835145

Hi Arno,

Thank you for all your suggestions, especially your pointing out the attractions and viewpoints around Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen. I went to the link you gave and will definitely squeeze time to visit some of those.

I have the impression that both Zermatt and St Moritz are “about similar” resort towns. So I am thinking maybe if really time doesn’t permit, i will skip Chur and St Moritz, unless you can really point to me again some of the attractions which i could only get in those two places.

The theme of our trip is more about Swiss nature and countryside. So we would really want to see the views and enjoy the autumn weathers.

Also, we are looking to stay at farmhouses, like http://www.farmstay.ch but cannot really find the ones similar to that near Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen (at least by browsing the internet). Is there any internet website that specializes on farm stay accommodation?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Honeymoon.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 March 2012 at 15:02:46 #835146

Hi honeymoon. I understand what you say about St. Moritz and Zermatt. The scenery is different in both towns, but picking one of the two is fine and results in a more relaxed itinerary. Personally, I would prefer selecting only a few resorts and taking my time there, rather than visiting as many places as possible.

You could take a look at http://www.bauernhof-ferien.ch (available in English too) to find a suitable farm accommodation. http://www.tourisme-rural.ch may appeal to you as well.

• The thread ‘Swiss First Time Visitor 9D8N, where best to go?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.