Swiss Franc or Euro and spendings in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2016 at 6:33:43 #808890

Hi all,

My wife and I would be visiting Italy and Switzerland. While we are carrying Euros for expenses in Italy, we are not sure whether to carry Euros or Swiss Francs for our expenses in Switzerland.

Needless to say that it would help us a lot if we can carry only Euros, even for Switzerland. However, we have observed that everything in Switzerland is priced in Swiss Francs.

I have a few queries:

1) Are Euros accepted in Switzerland?

2) If accepted, then how do we pay for something which is priced in CHF? Is the price in EUR also mentioned alongside?

3) Are cards accepted in most places or cash? for eg, people say Italy is primarily a ‘cash’ country.

Thanks

JD

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2016 at 13:49:05 #850668

Zwitserland is not a Euro country.

Cash is always in CHF, wit card you can pay in CHF or Euro.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2016 at 14:10:59 #850669

Hello JD

I would advise you to take Swiss francs with you. In big cities and main tourist spots they will probably accept euros, but any change will be given in Swiss francs. Debit cards could be useful for large amounts but not convenient for small purchases like coffees etc. To be dealing with both euros and francs at the same time could be rather confusing so sticking to just the local currency would be best way to go.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2016 at 16:04:28 #850670

Thanks a lot Brahms and Maggie for your prompt responses. This is very helpful.

Can you also give a rough estimate of the amount of CHF that I should carry. We are two people and our accommodation and Swiss Travel Pass are already booked.

We simply need to know the bare minimum amount that’s required for our food for 2 people. We would not have food at any fancy restaurant. We would buy stuff from Coop or some other supermarket and prepare sandwiches etc for our meals. Once in a while we would try out some cafe/restaurant but not the fancy ones.

An approximate estimate would be very helpful.

Thanks

JD

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2016 at 17:32:44 #850671

Switzerland is a very expensive country. The prices are about twice as high as in other European countries. Simple cup of coffee on First for instance costs CHF 9.00 (about 9 euros). What you are going to spend, I really can not say that is very different per person.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2016 at 21:53:13 #850672

Hello JD

I can understand you need a rough idea of how many francs to take with you so I will try to help!

We spent an average of just over 500 francs a week for the 2 of us. We self- cater so this included money for breakfasts, evening meals were usually sandwiches and salad and fruit,(ingredients bought in Co-op and the local market) we ate lunch out mostly in small cafes (nothing fancy! mountain tops more expensive than lowland café). It also included the half price fares on mountain transport like cable cars (we also had Swiss Travel Pass) and a few souvenirs, postcards and stamps, cold drinks and ice-creams as it was hot! I tend to over-estimate how much to take i.e. 100 francs per day, but this because it doesn’t matter if I have some left as we go every year and I just keep it for the next time!

I hope this will give you some idea of how much you might like to take. If towards the end of your stay you are running a little short, you can get a bit more from an ATM with your debit card.

Maggie

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    13 April 2016 at 1:10:39 #850673

Hi JD,

I agree with Maggie. Up to 500CHF/week for two people self-catering should be plenty, and you can withdraw extra cash from a cash machine (ATM) if needed. In fact, rather than pre-buying CHF at a currency exchange, I use the ATM at Zurich airport (in the train station complex across the road from the arrivals hall) as I get a better exchange rate by doing that (if you are going to do this, please just use a visa-branded ATM and not the ‘currency exchange’ ATM). If you are coming by train, there are ATMs at all the major train stations.

Migros and Coop supermarkets let you pay with a card when you eat in their restaurants (recommended!) or when you buy groceries.

In my experience, if you are using your card and you are asked whether you want to pay in CHF or in your own currency, choose CHF (although it is tempting to choose your own currency, you will get a better exchange rate if you make the purchase in the local currency – perhaps others from the forum can comment on this advice! Or perhaps check your own consumer organisation before you leave home, as this will apply whenever you use your card overseas…you may already be aware of this).

The Swiss CHF comes in very large notes, and this can be inconvenient for smaller operators. So, please make a purchase at a larger retailer and keep the smaller notes to use elsewhere.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 4:51:14 #850674

Hi Maggie and Minnie,

Thanks for your detailed responses. These really help me atleast get a ballpark figure. Even we were thinking of carrying around CHF 600 for our 6 day stay (5.5 to be more precise) in Switzerland but we were not sure.

However, now we are more confident that CHF 600 should be sufficient – and if not, then certainly we have our ATM card to our rescue.

Hopefully we would have a great time!!

Thanks again

JD

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2016 at 1:13:41 #850675

<<“Even we were thinking of carrying around CHF 600 for our 6 day stay (5.5 to be more precise) in Switzerland but we were not sure.”>>

That figure could work if your travel is all paid for (Swiss Travel Pass) -and you self- cater, and you do not include room costs in that figure..

Maggie rents an apartment in one place for a long period, which cuts the cost of rooms and meals a lot, if you eat in your apartment.

If you do not do those things, then you will surely need more than 100 CHF per day.

http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa vemoney

ATM is the answer.

Slowpoke.

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    14 April 2016 at 2:39:19 #850676

Good advice from everyone.Use CHF, about 100 per day is a good benchmark.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2016 at 11:42:19 #850677

JD already said they have a Swiss Travel Pass and their accommodation is booked which was the basis for my advice.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2016 at 13:48:28 #850678

<<“JD already said they have a Swiss Travel Pass and their accommodation is booked which was the basis for my advice.”>>

Very similar to your own arrangements.

Missed that….Thanks.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2016 at 13:54:22 #850679

HI JD-

To add a couple of comments about ATM’s…

In the larger cities, especially at the main stations, the set of ATM’s for a big bank may offer machines which give mixed denomination bills, including small and large.

And, in the main stations, the “Kiosks” and “Apertos” -convenience stores do so much business that they can change a 200 CHF bill with no problem. Buy a newspaper or a bottle of water.

They also give Euro’s in many cases.

Euros are more easily accepted as cash in the larger cities, but you’ll sometimes see menus with CHF and Euros pricing at all sorts of places around Switzerland.

In the countryside, and inn keeper might well take euros but the exchange rate would be less certain. And, as noted, you’ll get your change in CHF.

There are still many establishments in Switzerland which are “cash only.”

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2016 at 14:38:14 #850680

I am a Swiss, living in Germany. I am 2 or 3 times a year in Switzerland. I always “buy” Swiss Francs at the bancomat with my credit card or EC-card. My bank here in Germany gave me this worthful advise – and it was the best, when I compared it with all other possibilities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2016 at 3:43:58 #850681

Hi everyone this discussion was really useful. I get that you need approximately (500 for a week) 70 – 100 chf per day for 2 people if you have already paid for accommodation and travel. I would like someone to please guide me if we are family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 children of 5 and 10), how much would be the approximate cost for a day. We are having a kitchen at our disposal in the Chalet we have booked. And yes we plan to buy from coop / migros and if possible Lidl. Also can someone guide me if Lidl is cheaper. There is one Lidl market close to where I will be staying in spiez. – Vishal

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 April 2016 at 0:22:19 #850682

Hi Vishuladawt-

<<“I get that you need approximately (500 for a week) 70 – 100 chf per day for 2 people if you have already paid for accommodation and travel”>>

Not sure where you saw the “70.” Possibly from Maggie’s comments?

For two people, you are likely to be nearer to the higher number…if you are very careful with your “minor” expenses.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 April 2016 at 9:07:28 #850683

Yes, in general Lidl is cheaper than Coop and Migros.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2016 at 11:05:37 #850684

And the Migros in Interlaken and Wilderswil are cheaper then in mountain village Wengen.

But not the supermarkets are so expensive in Switserland, but the restaurants……..

When you can cook self in your appartment, it is much better for your wallet.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2016 at 12:15:36 #850685

Thanks everybody for replying. We will be cooking our dinners and breakfast. We plan to buy something ready to eat from Lidl, coop or migros. We plan to buy yogurts, juices, ready pizza, ready to eat paneer butter masala , rice. Pasta, sandwiches, cakes, ice-cream and salads. I just wished if someone can give approximate cost for 2 adults 2 children (5 and 10) on food per day. And ofcourse we wish to try as much local cuisine as possible. If you can suggest some ready to eat food items that will be great. Maybe if we get ready to eat cheese fondue. Please advise, Thanks Vishal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2016 at 15:15:57 #850686

What you want to eat, is what you like to eat.

It is a bit to much to ask if other people can give you advise on what you should eat on you holiday.

Go to the store and buy what you want……. (we like carots and rice and “vlaflip” !)

Greetings from the Neteherlands, Brahms

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 April 2016 at 16:00:37 #850687

From my experience Coop and Migros offer more ready to eat options than Lidl. Do try some cheeses but check if you buy Swiss cheese as they also have some from other countries. Be sure to buy some packages of Rösti (there’s Hero and other brands): sliced potatoes either natural or with meat, unions, mushrooms, etc. It needs to be cooked rather long in a frying pan.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The thread ‘Swiss Franc or Euro and spendings in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.