Swiss Half Fare Card & Jungfraujoch only

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 14:59:22 #816886

Dear team,

I have rented a car from Zurich to Geneva just for 5 days trip but only have 3 full days there. I think it’s good to just visit Jungfraujoch to see the scenery spot. I will drive and park to Interlaken Ost then take the train for round trip up via Lauterbunnen and down via Grindelwald. The rest of trip to scenery spot or city visit is driving and not sure if Swiss Half Fare card is worth to purchase or I just purchase the train to Jungfraujoch is good enough.

Your recommendation is highly appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. : I found it’s a bit complicated to understand the purchase system and really afraid of getting something wrong or paying high value.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 19:19:25 #889431

Hi Mcmug,

The Swiss Half Fare Card saves you about 110chf on Jungfraujoch alone in the summer season. If you were to make at just one more trip along your way the Swiss Half Fare Card would be worth the purchase price.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/validity

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 11:23:18 #889432

Hi Lucas,

Yes if I just go Jungfraujoch alone which the Swiss Half Card can’t help much as the card itself is not cheap. Equal to the half price of the ticket to Jungfraujoch. I think it’s better to buy the Swiss Half Card in case I have to take any train/cable car then it’s worth.

I tried to book the Swiss Half card but noted there are few option

– Online via HappyRail Worldwide

– Online via Official SBB online shop

– Online via Rail Europe World

– Online via Rail Europe Hong Kong

– Online via ACP Rail

– Rail Station in Switzerland

Are all the above six options the same, I can get anyone of it then will have 50% off for ticket purchase? Kindly help to guide me as I am afraid of getting something wrong and spent higher cost.

Again thanks for your help as always.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 12:35:27 #889433

Hi Mcmug,

All options are valid if you are buying the Swiss Half Fare Card from them. You can check prices online against each other – they should all be similar.

We recommend the retailers listed here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price
    HappyRail usually has the best price.

Buying online saves you time as you don’t have to go to the rail station in Switzerland (and you have a backup copy to print at any time in case you lose your card).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 7:58:51 #889434

Not sure if this help but I just came up to Jungfraujoch using my BO pass and it only costs me CHF99 vs CHF160 with Swiss Travel Pass:) Does Swiss Half Fare only charge CHF85 (I think full price is CHF170)? You might need to double check. Hope this help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 8:18:35 #889435

Thanks. I will check it out.

I am a bit lost in getting the ticket and seems it needs to buy for few legs for Interlaken Ost up via Laterrunnen and down via Grindelwald

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 8:29:34 #889436

You can do it either way… up grindelwald and down Lauterrunnen or the other day:) btw I bought the tickets at the counter as I had difficulty getting them online bc I have both BO pass and Swiss Travel Pass (there r 8 of us) some have BO and some have STP and I wanted to get the discounted price!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 8:35:00 #889437

The first train out to Jungfraujoch is at 07:15 am and the office opens at 06:40 at Grindelwald. So we waited in front of the office at 06:30 am and the line wasn’t bad at all:)

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card & Jungfraujoch only’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.